New guy...first post with test results

Jun 26, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Hello all. This is the third day using my TF-100 test kit. Now that I'm sure I'm using it correctly, here are my results:

FC - 5
CC - 0
TC - 5
pH - 7.5
T/A - 150
CH - 340
CYA - 20

Today is 2 weeks since I filled my new Intex 20x12 eliptical pool (4400 gallons). I was "pool stored" at first but after attending pool school and reading many posts in the forum, I'm now confident that I know what I'm doing. I shocked the first night with half of a bag of Power Powder Plus then 3 nights later with the other half. I'm floating three 3" chlorine tabs day and night with the floater opened up all the way. FC seems to be staying between 5 and 6. I'm concerned that the T/A level is high but based on what I read in Pool School, I shouldn't try to lower it:

"There are two reasons to lower your total alkalinity (TA). High TA combined with aeration can cause rapid PH increases. High TA can also contribute to a high calcium saturation index (CSI). If your CSI is too high, you may get calcium scaling.
But you shouldn't lower TA just to reach a target number. Make sure you actually have one of the above issues before lowering your TA."

CYA is low. Should I continue to use floater with tabs or should I switch to bleach? I assume that over time the stabalizer level will rise even using the tabs.

Thank you,
Joe

if you are keeping your fc levels consistent during the day, you're probably ok. your fc is actually a touch high for such low cya, but if you dial down the feeder you'll get less chlorine and less cya. as long as you have a good grasp of the chlorine/cya chart and keep your levels accordingly, then whatever works for you should be fine. just remember to keep an eye on that cya throughout the season. where do you live? will the pool be up year round?

also,

jareias said:
CYA is low. Should I continue to use floater with tabs or should I switch to bleach? I assume that over time the stabalizer level will rise even using the tabs.

the stabilizer level will rise because of the tabs. bleach/chlorine does not add cya. there are some granular chlorine products that also don't add cya. but once you get your cya level where you want it (30-50) you should switch to either an swg or liquid chlorine/bleach.

Thanks, reebok.

I live in Clearwater, Florida and I plan on keeping the pool up year round.

My plan is to get the Intex SWG. Once my CYA is between 30-50, and I switch to the SWG, will my CYA level remain as long as I keep the chlorine level constant? Since bleach and SWG do not raise stabalizer, what do I do if CYA goes below 30 once switching to SWG?

Thank you,
Joe

jareias said:
Thanks, reebok.

I live in Clearwater, Florida and I plan on keeping the pool up year round.

My plan is to get the Intex SWG. Once my CYA is between 30-50, and I switch to the SWG, will my CYA level remain as long as I keep the chlorine level constant? Since bleach and SWG do not raise stabalizer, what do I do if CYA goes below 30 once switching to SWG?

Thank you,
Joe

Then you either add CYA or I suppose, if you have a lot of leftover pucks you could dial back your SWG a little and float some pucks to raise the CYA again. It doesn't take too many pucks to raise it.

yeah, they sell cya itself. so you can add it directly. it's often called stabilizer or conditioner or both. pinch a penny and leslie's will have have it, walmart, home depot, or lowes may have it. you can shop around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.