Check valve Problems

Jul 9, 2009
Rochester, IN
I've only recently found TFP and I've probably learned more here than from any other source, and we've operated our pool for about six years! Fighting it all the way. So, I hope someone can help me with my latest problem. I have a Hayward EC 30 DE filter and the check valve needs replaced. I have the replacement valve but I don't know how to get the old one out. It seems to be either very tight or glued. Does anyone have any hands on experience or know how on this repair? Your help will be greatly appreciated. :whoot:

Hey Dave,
Thanks for replying. I can't tell if it's glued or not. The pool store says it shouldn't be but they aren't being very helpful because they want to do the work. I could attach a picture but I don't think it would tell you anything. The valve body is plastic, about a 1 inch id, 1 and 1 half in. long with about a 1 quarter inch flange on one end. The flapper is also made of some kind of plastic or rubber. The flange end is on the outside and seats against the case. I've pryed on it but I'm afraid to pry to hard because everything is plastic. Hope this helps.

It is probably glued. The better check valves used for pools can be repaired rather than replaced. If it has a cover with screws, you can take off the cover and replace the flapper without changing the valve body.

[quote-"mrafal"]It is probably glued. The better check valves used for pools can be repaired rather than replaced. If it has a cover with screws, you can take off the cover and replace the flapper without changing the valve body.[/quote]

:oops: Sorry about the delay getting back to you, I had some personal problems come up. I must have the cheaper version because it doesn't have a cover or screws. If it is glued any ideas how to get it out without hurting the case? I was wondering if it would be possible to use a hacksaw blade to maybe cut it on two opposite sides and trying to collapse it. What are your thoughts? :?

You mean the check valve for the filter, right? Not some other check valve in your plumbing? This one:
80076634-177x150-0-0_Hayward+Hayward+Perflex+EC40+Filter+DEFLECTOR+ASSB.jpg

I've never pulled one out but from the looks of that picture there's a spring clip involved somewhere.

Why don't you like them?
One more thing to go wrong. Any restriction in the system is a potential problem.

I put two in my system to make priming easy and they quickly clogged themselves. I had to take them apart to clear them and, it was such a pain, I just decided to remove them.

Thanks to all who have tried to help so far. I must have a really cheap version of a check valve. Mine doesn't look like the one spishex posted. I'll see if I can get my slow computer to attatch a diagram of my check valve. If it does (19) will be the valve, (20) is a plastic flow regulator that comes out easily and (18) is the valve seat. I hope this works to show you what I have.

Attachments

• clip_image002.jpg
    clip_image002.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 218

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's the same valve, I just posted a pic of the whole flow diffuser assembly that the check valve sits in. It looks like the squared off end of that assembly is made to sit inside a track, so I'd guess that you need to take off the lid, pull the assembly up from the bottom, then slide the check valve out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.