cleaning DE filter-don't "fix (clean)" it if it's not "broken?"

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
It's been about a year since we had the pb show us how to clean our DE filter. We have pop ups. If the pool seems to be cleaning well, could it be logical to say we don't need to clean it quite yet? My worry is that I'll tear something and why waste time and effort if I can wait until it really needs it.

there was a recent post on how to take it apart which I cut and pasted onto my maintenance word doc, thx!

Re: cleaning DE filter-don't "fix (clean)" it if it's not "broken?"

To determine when a DE filter needs to be cleaned you note the pressure reading on the filter gauge right after the filter is cleaned, when you see a 25% increase in pressure, it's time to clean it again. With a VS pump and infloor system you need to be sure both pressure reading are taken with all the same settings. For me that's with my drain and skimmers suction lines both open, the infloor bypassed (to side returns) and pump at 2600 rpm. Those are my baseline and reference settings. Anytime I check the filter pressure, I use those settings.

Are you doing backflush and recharge between breakdown cleanings. Because if you haven't even done a backflush in over a years, that's a very long time. I do full breakdown cleaning on mine about twice a year.

To determine when a DE filter needs to be cleaned you note the pressure reading on the filter gauge right after the filter is cleaned, when you see a 25% increase in pressure, it's time to clean it again. With a VS pump and infloor system you need to be sure both pressure reading are taken with all the same settings. For me that's with my drain and skimmers suction lines both open, the infloor bypassed (to side returns) and pump at 2600 rpm. Those are my baseline and reference settings. Anytime I check the filter pressure, I use those settings.

Are you doing backflush and recharge between breakdown cleanings. Because if you haven't even done a backflush in over a years, that's a very long time. I do full breakdown cleaning on mine about twice a year.

sounds like i'll have to get a baseline after breakdown cleaning the filter to know what my 25% increase would be. I backwash when it seems the floor isn't staying clean, usually every 3 mths, sometimes within a few weeks if there was a big monsoon that seemed to be hard to get cleaned up after a couple/few days.

the pb says a lot of people get stuck and end up calling them out, not being able to put the filter back together. When I take it apart myself i think i'll take pictures of how the inside looks first... thanku

- - - Updated - - -

I think i'm still left with the Why question a little bit. if the pool seems to be staying clean would we need to take the filter apart and clean it more often than not/and with paying attention to the 25% increase because it's hard on the pump and my pump will last longer? thx

I believe your PB may be discouraging you from a very simple task.

There is a very good detailed sticky here on how to do the cleaning. https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72506-DE-Filter-Cleaning-Tutorial

The question about 'why' is addressed in the sticky as well.... clogged filter = decreased cleaning capacity and increased workload on your pump due to higher pressures.

I believe your PB may be discouraging you from a very simple task.

There is a very good detailed sticky here on how to do the cleaning. https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72506-DE-Filter-Cleaning-Tutorial

The question about 'why' is addressed in the sticky as well.... clogged filter = decreased cleaning capacity and increased workload on your pump due to higher pressures.

thanku. Yes, I cut and pasted that onto my maintanance and will be using it. Thanks for the added info!

- - - Updated - - -

Just to double-check, do you add DE after you backwash?

yes, we do add DE, but I just found out that my husband hasn't been measuring accurately. I'm slowly taking over the whole pool maintenance (accept i don't have the muscles to get the salt cell off by myself. I'm going to try to see if i can use the strap that grabs it to do it as needed). he thought last time he put 3 lbs in instead of 4 lbs. :(

I have to say though pool looks good and everyone says it. crystal clear

Backwashing doesn't get all of the DE out of the filter, so do not use the full amount of DE. 80% is a general rule. Only when you have done a complete break-down cleaning, do you use the full amount. If you use too much it builds up and restricts the proper flow in the filter, it also clumps and won't backwash properly, forcing a break-down cleaning. Use too little and debris can get into the grid material and be difficult or impossible to remove. Then you not only have to break-down the filter, you may have to replace grids.
I use a scale to measure the DE each time.

DE4820 - Hayward says 6 lbs. So 4.8 lbs (just shy of 4 lbs, 13 oz) would be the 80% rule.

When my builder's "startup guy" (ugh . . .) first charged our filter with DE, it was evident that he did not put enough in. It didn't even last two months before the pressure indicated it was time to clean. When I broke the filter down to inspect, there was debris on the grids. The debris should be on the DE (which is, in turn, on the grids). Was more difficult to clean than it should have been.

chiefwej, that's great to know. What scale do u use and wouldn't it just be the same amount each time or is it less each time since there's already some in the filter? how often r u backwashing if u're already breaking it down 2 xs/yr?

stodds, oh, that's not good. glad to have a better understanding of this. I think I have 4 lbs written down and my husband has put less. I'll have to see if the cup that we have to measure lbs has anything on it to figure out .8 otherwise i guess i can try to eyeball the .8 part? the cup is a full 4 lb cup that the pb gave us at start up.

I guess I never knew that's how the DE worked-debris should've been on the DE, not the grids. when we did clean it with pb (and i recorded the whole thing just so i'd have it) there was a lot of chunks of DE in there. We've only cleaned it once since we've had the pool. at the time I had been convinced the in-floor wasn't working properly and they cleaned to have a baseline hoping that was the problem and they ended up upgrading our pool pump after I got an independent person to assess the pool. in-floor has seemed to run good ever since. oops, though, i don't think i've ever updated my signature. i'll check on that tomorrow. i'll put tearing down the filter on my list of things to do soon, though

thx!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I know you were addressing chiefwej, but I use a digital kitchen scale for my DE additions. That scale has come in handy for many, many things since I also cook and brew my own beer. Didn't see weighing out DE coming when I bought the scale. Assuming you backflush well enough, it should be 80% each time. However . . .

I've seen many claim that they just break it down 2x a year and clean it out, rather than ever backflushing. I'm currently on this track (only have had a filled pool for about eight months). But, because of the bad initial charge by the builders start up guy, I've already broken it down twice. Hopefully, that trend stops. My issue is that I really just don't have a good spot to send the backwash.

Since I use hair nets in the skinmmers and knee high stockings in a leaf canister, all water is pre filtered before it gets to my DE filter. It sees very little debris and seldom needs cleaning. I decided to skip back flushing altogether and just do a full break down cleaning twice a year. Once in spring, once in fall.

Re: cleaning DE filter

I know you were addressing chiefwej, but I use a digital kitchen scale for my DE additions. That scale has come in handy for many, many things since I also cook and brew my own beer. Didn't see weighing out DE coming when I bought the scale. Assuming you backflush well enough, it should be 80% each time. However . . .

I've seen many claim that they just break it down 2x a year and clean it out, rather than ever backflushing. I'm currently on this track (only have had a filled pool for about eight months). But, because of the bad initial charge by the builders start up guy, I've already broken it down twice. Hopefully, that trend stops. My issue is that I really just don't have a good spot to send the backwash.
thankyou. i have a kitchen scale that i got recently so i'll try that! then maybe i can make a mark on the cup to not have to measure each time. :) I feel I need to backwash sometimes a month in between so breaking it down twice a year and not back washing in between wouldn't work for me. too much dust out here. interesting to know, though. must be nice! seems like living in the desert bring extra maintenance. We have a lot of calcium in water, dust, sun.

- - - Updated - - -

Since I use hair nets in the skinmmers and knee high stockings in a leaf canister, all water is pre filtered before it gets to my DE filter. It sees very little debris and seldom needs cleaning. I decided to skip back flushing altogether and just do a full break down cleaning twice a year. Once in spring, once in fall.
so that's the trick?! I'll have to try that. Everything from the drain goes to the leaf skimmer and skimmer goes straight to the DE filter? Is there a reason you do break-downs in the spring and fall?

Re: cleaning DE filter

thankyou. i have a kitchen scale that i got recently so i'll try that! then maybe i can make a mark on the cup to not have to measure each time. :) I feel I need to backwash sometimes a month in between so breaking it down twice a year and not back washing in between wouldn't work for me. too much dust out here. interesting to know, though. must be nice! seems like living in the desert bring extra maintenance. We have a lot of calcium in water, dust, sun.

- - - Updated - - -

so that's the trick?! I'll have to try that. Everything from the drain goes to the leaf skimmer and skimmer goes straight to the DE filter? Is there a reason you do break-downs in the spring and fall?

Just that it's the beginning and end of each summer pool season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.