I Made the Biggest Stupidest Mistake Ever! HELP!

DebbieC

Bronze Supporter
Jul 13, 2016
Naples/FL
I need to add more salt to my pool as my salt is at 2430. I grabbed the "leftover bag" and went in and weighed it. It's 14.8 lbs. I need like 32 lbs but since it's starting to storm with thunder and lightning I decided I better run out quickly and pour it in. I walked around the pool dumping in it and then took a second look as I finished completely walking around my pool and I poured in SAND not salt! :brickwall:

I have no skimmer installed and no vacuum, what can I do? Definitely not tonight though as the winds are picking up and the lightning is all over the place.

Maybe.... I should just read a book and ::epds:: I'm sooooooooooo sad.

Putting on my thinking cap here.........okay here it goes. Throw the kids in the pool and have them walk around the edge of the pool as fast as they can to get the water moving in a circle. Turn off the pump at the same time. Pull the kids out and let it sit over night. Then use a shop vac to suck up the dirt that is hopefully sitting in the middle. You might have to rig something up to get the hose longer so it will reach in side the pool.

I will think on it some more to see if I come up with some more ideas. Hubby will tell you that usually my first idea is my best LOL

Kim:kim:

Maybe you can also direct your jet to help swirl the water in a circle as the kids work to get it spinning too. In a round pool most everything should work to and settle out in the center. Sucking that much sand up through the pump would not be a good idea but if you have a leaf canister you could add a nylon stocking for a filter and then safely vac the sand with the pool pump. The stocking should trap the sand in the leaf canister.

i wouldnt try to suction it into the filter as it will need to pass through the pump and that amount of sand would not do the pump any good
as kimkats suggested but i would try a dustpan and brush arrangement
get the kids running in a circle
then let water settle and then send one volunteer in to shovel the majority out
how do you normally clean the sediment off the floor

Thank you Kimkats, Dsmith99, and Aussieta for all your suggestions. I tried the wet vac but it is a real small wetvac and I couldn't find any more hose to make it longer. I do have the vac that comes with the pool but it didn't seem to work so I gave it a second chance. After 20 minutes I got a handful of sand. So I jumped in the pool and swept it all up in a pile to the side of the pool (the center as advised, is all pitted from bleach tablets last year so I wanted it to the side so I could hang on to the wall.
dbtgallery.php

I liked the dust pan idea but mine is metal so I didn't want to chance it so got thinking and staring in my pantry. I came up with the idea of using a Tupperware cup with a handle and a 2 quart glass Pyrex measuring cup.
dbtgallery.php

I scooped up and did a pretty good job if you ask me.

Thank you Kimkats; your idea was great but I didn't have the materials AND you got my imagination pumping too! (BTW, my "kids" are probably around your age so it was only me to battle my disaster. You truly were a big help and I was honored to see that you responded to my post...you seemed to know a lot and I appreciate your time. :hug:

BTW: That certainly is not the "Biggest Stupidest Mistake Ever". I have done a lot better than that myself, and we see bigger and more stupid mistakes here on a very regular basis.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
EEEK! This one makes me cringe too! Thanks for sharing now I don't feel so bad but when you are staring at the sky to make sure you're not going to get strike by lightning and pouring a bag you don't see the color until the end. When I saw brownish red instead of white.... you know the rest.

yes the people who pour motor oil in instead of acid
every time one of those pop up i cringe

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh, muriatic acid! I only need to use 1.7 ounces usually and the stink! I take a deep breath and hold my nose while trying to pour this on the railing of my pool because walking from the lanai to the pool is too much of that odor and never mind this ghastly smoke that comes up; I feel like I could make a ghost story using this. Did it destroy the liner?

And the one that poured in muriatic acid instead of chlorine.....Yeah we have DONE and seen some mistakes. I am glad we were about to get you thinking to find a way to fix your mistake! :hug:

Kim:kim:

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for making me feel not so bad Chiefwej.

BTW: That certainly is not the "Biggest Stupidest Mistake Ever". I have done a lot better than that myself, and we see bigger and more stupid mistakes here on a very regular basis.

For MA, I carry the closed container to the pool edge, open it and with the bottom of the container setting on or near the water surface pour it slowly in. Always make sure I first go around to a position that puts me upwind of the container. Less chance of spilling or splashing. Should anything happen, you just let go of the container. Should it splash on you (very unlikely), rinse with pool water.

Measuring, diluting or pouring from one container to the other just increases hazards and risks. So, I always guesstimate amount and pour direct into the pool. That limits fumes and potential exposure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.