Vinyl liner repair methods on a 1inch slice on bottom?

May 28, 2008
Jackson, NJ
I need your help in repairing a 1 inch slice in the bottom of my vinyl pool. The slice is a curve and depressed about 1/4-1/2 inch. It is about the size of a quarter. I have seen patches that I would apply cement and some that I would peel and stick. What are your recommendations and experiences? The slice was caused by dropping a piece of vinyl clad metal deck railing that dropped end first into the pool.

You can pick up a vinyl repair kit at virtually any pool store. It is a "wet" patch that you apply the adhesive, fold it over on itseld, and quickly dive to the bottom, open it up and apply it over the hole.

I have had mixed success but it's worth the try to see if you can do it. In my case, the adhesive didn't bond properly when I opened the patch on 2 occasions. Twice more and I was successful.

It's funny. I had both types of kits and tried the self stick last week with little success. I just tried to apply the glue to the patch while wearing latex gloves to keep the glue off of my hands. That didn't work too well. Before I could get all of the patch covered with glue, it was sticking to my gloves.

I cut a piece of the self adhesive type to fit, put on my goggles and was able to put the patch on with good success on the first try. I put a kitchen pot on top of it with a heavy weight inside of the pot. I will leave it on for 24 hours as instructed with the patch kit. All of the edges were securely attached. There were no air bubbles to contend with.

We'll see tomorrow how the patch held.

Thanks for your input.

I waited to see how the patch was holding on the pool bottom before reporting back. I was just looking at it this evening and it looks like it's holding. The water temp has been a little cool for me to go in. This whole summer has been cool here in Jackson, NJ. Thanks again for your help and feedback. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.