Houston, We have a problem!!!!

Jun 25, 2009
Loogootee, IN
I decided to do some back washing today, what I thought was nasty dirty water, turned out to be, FILTER SAND! I don't have any sand in my pool from starting and stopping the pump for the last 6days, but about 5-10seconds of back washing produced this!!!!

So what did I do wrong?

I know how you feel Pachinko. We ha d one come off right after we had our poolinstalled. Thank goodness the pool installer came back and fixed it. I did watch him fix it and he had to remove all of the sand because of course it was a lateral at the bottom and i think ours popped off it wasnt broken so he just put it back on. He said the hardest part was getting the sand out because he had hands like The Hulk !!! LOL !!

If this happened on backwash, the laterals don't really come into play :) As long as sand isn't going into the pool on filter, no need to suspect a lateral problem.

You may have too much sand in the filter. The other thing I've seen is 'gunked up' sand that gets blown out when backwashing (i.e. the top layer of 'gummed up' sand gets flushed out when you backwash)

If that was the first time you backwashed since adding the sand, I believe Ted has solved your problem. Generally, the filter should be about 2/3 full of sand altho each filter may vary a little....check the Manufacturer's website for confirmation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
the sand level was at the bottom of the neck of the filter.
W-a-a-ay too much sand. (Excellent diagnosis, Ted, I wouldn't have caught that)

Try to find info online for correct level for your model filter. If that fails, empty sand down to 2/3 of the body of the filter until you can find out what's optimum for your particular filter.

I would suggest removing it carefully by hand. Backwasing to get it out just doesn't seem like a great idea. Others with more experience may correct me.

I opened up the filter and the sand is now just a hair under the basket. so I closed it up and did a back wash, i could feel the grittiness of the sand on my hand for about 2-3seconds then nothing. looked at the sight glass and there was just a little bit left and was slowly diminishing.

back washed for a little over a minute, then rinsed about 10-15secs. then switched it to filter. the return isn't as powerful as what it was. and when I first started the pump system for the very first time. I had a reading of 14psi.

Now that I have back washed etc, today it is running right at 10psi.

Anything wrong with that???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.