TroubleFreePool - Pool Math - Is FC broken for SWG users???

PFran42

Bronze Supporter
Jul 27, 2017
Roswell GA
Is there an issue with the TFP Pool Math app for Android users who own a SWCG?

According to TroubleFreePool's own CYA-FC chart my target FC level should be 5.

VJZhek

When setting up the Pool Math App, I entered SWG in the Pool Chemistry field (see pic):

nSj00IzFFy4CxWGjNU2TMcRTSFjtdcwb0yi2EPSSRuY7nR-K3gLOOFF89qZ-Eaj7SbmEazmdaqNLlT9h-rYfBvPIYcW82jmxIfw0mvkPbSJBCo61r5k76B1IIp9XgQTxG2-Z2z93TVPs3jyejdDYVc2DMF0lgK8c0cDSTzXALG-ApGj5DMzdRHwsUy4I1e678MEggEchOEfl4nwCnf3Fm0aCqezKH5KJ6LEJGwBzJ4JvoFPG2tvM7PgP0_8j_ayZitG9Kxi8T0rNXyLNrEhtBTufzT-SyWiuHYU6zIu-dW9BzB-tTY06k6LPJdxIxEcQxKstLa765aSg955djuwG5-s6Y0GwgnSxoLf5zZnjfuV56RdCPZ6W74wyGeYDYBipw83r57b9DHY8XXc7g-uXCiJbGm4J3qO7g-g0Iae9EORd2GJx_TqygsKJbAFY1zHkGZHeI5Dd1havM85gOsab6SzH4M59CPYWfUIr3h_k_GtBRD4baOMklrw5c5i3h4h5AgPZ6O8pHC4UwEl8VFAR2yGX7T_rsZphjHMYVPF3UsC980U8HMdqb-4HrrfmNz9vSbX0bz_kXbWiaBJcOujhY-gpTxISYqxdTMbS6z0aYwlx87cDuFH6Yw=w670-h1375-no

Whenever I go into Overview and click on FC, the app tells me that my Target FC should be 8. I have edited this and set it to 5 multiple times but it keeps reverting back to the incorrect number. This is causing issues for my wife as she does not know what to believe/not believe. She has upped the chlorine production of the SWCG several times (as evidenced by the screenshot below) after using the app when in fact, the FC level was originally at 5 (the correct value according to the CYA-FC chart).

TdCuwPFqQEqYTbq-5hCR4tqtPL_4WCZu8pQB8eU7OqwBhoXecUJ83cxVwlgoX9vEKk7y9jezjne05Z2g38jugGJNpZ3espfqGKrx2zMAzM9CVoC0vE6KezbujKcSkgOT4LJNZzyWT5yJyU6GeBcwNuUKiD7deGSyR_OOrYu_Kq5lxT0WrT_ZKf0T40LppwSySmIROM8DR6x6h3-4sGxaXIEH-pnPm8h61Xg67nevoBjUOz7fVu9XAa6-Z4wgNw0fvd3O4bp-nmVDhUS8nmJyEiMiqoMvNXjpA90hk4FQEKFEo-121wg6ML7bHXXMtveaBZdPkCr8Q6NwaraEjsONTkrMcEL1gxU2NrZ4O2BSEmZW7t9pWH30jb8DeH27IYZ1hujVWuTwus9xrM5ZoFScgc5_tUiCQH4EsH9L4jHYvEv5KG1EuzQopuUGBJUmLCufrGEWlOPUJ3eAgGHdFnlOvcMBcYwEVmeTIiD-X__vkW-PU-wTRRvl-A0gxKfcO7zp0mW0S62uiAvRLvP06r7qk5mUr9Ja6DB-UTk74SiG45YstE50VwEx43e7o2gvP_rtQ5fPpGdK1GPQgc_MmS_0fsXnvmDqxeKExhyt7_NmCNWCUZaiIMRb-Q=w670-h1375-no

Is this a bug or are my wife and I using this Pool Math app incorrectly? Thanks!

what suggested range you see on the Overview?

On my app I can edit that number and it seems to stay. But it really doesn't matter. This screen is really just like using the FC row in Pool Math on this website. Meaning, you can edit the current FC and target FC and below it will tell you how much of what type of chlorine to add.

what suggested range you see on the Overview?

On my app I can edit that number and it seems to stay. But it really doesn't matter. This screen is really just like using the FC row in Pool Math on this website. Meaning, you can edit the current FC and target FC and below it will tell you how much of what type of chlorine to add.

Suggested range on the overview screen shows 3.0-10.0. The problem is when you drill down in the app, the target level shows 8 (instead of 5). My wife sees the last reading entered (by us) in the overview, compares it to the suggested range, drills down on FC and then sees that the app is telling her to aim for an 8 FC level. She then either adds bleach or turns up the SWCG and as a result, the pool ends up with too much chlorine in it.

I also want to restate that I have edited the "Target" field multiple times in the Android app (setting it to "5") and the change does not stick.

As a husband I’ll answer this the best I can, your wife is 110% correct. No way will I ever suggest anything different nor is it wise for you to disagree. A FC level of 8 is required!!

That said, as a guy I’d suggest you turn off the pump early or something as there’s no need to aim for 8ppm! Anything over 3ppm is holding off algae and a target of 5 is what TFP suggests.

This issue has came up multiple times since we launched the App and is being addressed shortly. The issue stems from the fact that there was never a “target” listed for SWG’s on the website version before. The information on the App matches the information on the website version as shown below (sorry for poor photo)
28F145A5-F808-41A7-9DE8-EDD96A4DCBA9.jpeg

Right after launch of the App though we saw the confusion in this new layout as it clearly states to use a higher FC level than is needed. We’re working now to update BOTH the App and the website (thanks jBlizzle) to include a target goal that matches the FC/CYA chart. My legit job has been a pain as of late and caused me to spend less time than I wished on the App but it should be addressed shortly.

As for your target not “sticking” on the App. This is occurring by design ONLY for chlorine. We set it to reset each time to make sure a user doesn’t set their FC target too low by mistake and attempt to maintain a pool with to little FC. I’d rather inconvience slightly users to add a safeguard for some and make sure users always have enough FC.

Sorry for the confusion, hope this helps!

As soon as I saw the title I knew the answer. ;D I've got a Google Document from the developer that I'm confirming today that the math he plans on using is correct. The developer has the code already updated (as well as some other bugs he's addressing) and is just trying to find time to complete everything before updating. Lastly I need to get with Jblizzle who has stepped up and updated the website version of PoolMath. The code he used is about 99% dead on but needs just a small tweek. He'll likely have it completed before I even know it.

I guess I don't need to flame Lee to say "See, another post saying we need to fix the webpage" :poke: :mrgreen:

Send me what we need done and I will update the code today (or tonight at least) :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.