Hi from NSW, Australia

Thanks for the explanation.
Things make more sense now

I'll have to investigate a bit further and see if we need one.

on a different topic, i just got hit by a much higher electricity bill than expected, and i guess the pool pump is mostly to blame.
is it ok to reduce the run time to 1h/day in either 1 block or 2 x 30min?
ill adjust my SWG to keep my FC level

i'm happy to throw in some elbow grease and brush +/- vacuum everyday to help with circulation if it saves me a few hundred $$
pump seems to be working well so i'm a bit reluctant to consider VS

Cheers

Yann,

I have a 1HP pump as well- definitely will replace eventually with a VS next time.

I would be wary of trying to reduce your pump run time any less than 4 hours a day, particularly as it warms up. Adequate circulation becomes really important as does filtration with a greater bather load. Personally I also like running the pump whenever there are swimmers as well. You can also add liquid chlorine to keep the run time down if your SWG is battling to keep up without running ridiculous hours just to keep your FC levels up.

As long as SWG and skimming preference is met, you can keep the water chemically mixed at 1/2 hr per day. Your water clarity will let you know if you go too low and there isn't enough filtration to take dust out, which might be somewhere around 1 to 4 hours.

I'd estimate the power at around 900 watts for your pump and SWG, so let's call it 1000 watts or 1 kW. My marginal cost for power is around $0.23 per kWh right now (the cost for each additional kWh, i.e. doesn't include the daily service charge, but does include the effect of discount and GST). So running 4 hours would be $0.92 per day, or $84 per quarter. I'm mentioning this because you hear a lot of marketing hype that the biggest user of power is the pool pump, when it's usually air con and hot water. Jezza's point above is a good one; you don't want to end up with different work and expense from running too short a time.

Even for people with the common 1.5 HP pump on 40 mm pipe, who've been told they have to run it 8 hours a day, would be around $220 per quarter. They could cut their cost in half just by running what they have a tad better, but the scary message is there to sell more pumps :) I agree, run what you have til its cactus, then go VS or two-speed.

Thanks Jet

According to my electricity bill, I've got 3 different rates: $0.2464, $0.2417 and $0.2397. I'll call them to find out more about this.
But roughly same as yours, so let's say $0.25 to round up. At 4h/day that's $90/qtr which doesn't account for the full elevated bill.
I guess you're right and the cost is probably coming from the home heaters, we had a chilly winter up here.

I won't take a chance with the pool though and will run at 2h/day for now and will increase as the swim load gets higher.

On a side note, I just finished my first deep clean :)

Thanks, looks like today is a good day for a swim, already 32C :sunny:

HI all

Just wanted to post an update

FC: 6.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.5
TA: 100
CH: 300
CYA: 70
Temp: 20
Salt: 4600
CSI: -0.39

Pump running 2h/day with SWG at 38% (3/8)

Pool has been quite dirty over the weekend, with lots of wind and leaves and dust on the pool at all times. Been scooping out with my net.
After cleaning and vacuuming (my Polaris is playing trick on me), the deep end didn't look as crystal clear as it used too.
Some kind of haze, white-ish in colour, a little like the CYA test when mixed up but not as opaque, I can still clearly see the bottom. Just not crystal clear.

Looks like I have achieved pH/TA balance, last MA addition was 3 weeks ago.
FC never drops below 5ppm, CC always at 0

Should I be concerned?
Won't be able to do OCLT until Tuesday night at best.

Cheers

Been away since yesterday until tomorrow

kids are still paddling despite the cold

wife says pool covered with leaves.
She'll have to clean it up!

not sure what I'll find when I get home tomorrow.
Probably full skimmer baskets and a nice thick leaf cover!

as long as it's still clear underneath :)

Got home to a fairly clean pool, but still not crystal clear (pump 4h, SWG 50%)

I'm starting OCLT with an evening reading of FC 7 and CC 0

How do you tell the difference between dust/dirt and dead algae at the bottom of the pool?

When I brush the floor, there is a fine cloud lifting up, kind of brownish in colour. Seems to be more obvious when I brush first thing in the morning, before the pump starts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It can be difficult to work out whether it is dead algae or dust but the results of your OCLT will give you a pretty good indication. Often dead algae will cloud up when you brush it. Is debris/dead algae/debris something that just seems to have started?

Thanks Jezza

It's always been there as far as I can remember

It seems to be more intense after a windy day, which leads me to think it's dust, and I never really worried about it

I've ran OCLTs in the past and always passed.

I'm just a little concerned about that debris thingy now since the pool doesn't look crystal clear anymore.

Don't get me wrong, it's still clear and can see the bottom at the deep end, but there is like a kind of haze, like a very clear, light uniform milky texture.
It's a bit more obvious during the day than at night

See how your OCLT goes- if you pass you could try running the pump for a few extra hours a day (for the next couple of days) and see if that makes any difference. If your not happy with the results after that you could try taking your FC up to SLAM level (as a one off) whilst running the pump for the extra time and see if the chemical/filtration combo improves things.

Morning all

Morning results (6am after 30min of pump running) are FC 7 and CC 0 so that's a pass.

I have increased my pump runtime see if it makes a difference

Might bring up the FC to SLAM level over the weekend.
Is there any side effects bringing the pool to SLAM for 24-48h if there is no growing things?

Cheers

If you think it’s particulates, are you able to add DE to your sand filter? DE in your filter will help to clarify water.

TFP doesn’t advocate the regular or consistent use of clarifiers or flocs because a properly maintained pool really doesn’t need them. That does not, of course, mean that they do not work when used properly and in accordance with the manufacturers dosing guidelines. Clarifiers and flocs can help to remove turbidity in water when the source of that cloudiness is definitely related to physical particulates and not something biological like algae growth. Knowing the source of the cloudiness is important because you don’t want to spend a lot of time and effort cleaning it up only to have the contamination show up again.

So, if you want to try a floc or clarifier, go ahead. Just follow the dosing guidelines for the product (over-dosing of flocs and clarifiers can actually lead to more cloudiness, not less).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support