Ok ok
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Just curious, I've noticed ever since i have lived here, for almost 2 years, the pH in my well water is around 6.9 - 7. Is that anything to be concerned about? Of course we use it for cooking, it's actually really good drinking water, but I've often wondered about the pH being so low.

I do have a softener but I checked Ph at tap as well as pre softener and the same reading both places.

I know this is a pool site, but concerning my well water for household use, is the pH of 6.9 or 7 anything to be concerned about?

Yes, when I filled my pool it took me forever adding acid to get the TA below 100. CH also high. I just don't understand water chemistry enough to know if this is an issue. I have been trying to research things on the Internet, and it's not unusual for well water to have PH in that range, not sure about the TA.

I think that's probably my pretty normal for deep wells in your area. The water is likely in contact with a lot of limestone and so it absorbs calcium carbonate over time. Since the water is enclosed and no CO2 can escape, the TA becomes very high even though the pH remains low.

It's similar to how a can of soda is both highly acidic AND highly carbonated. When the can is popped, the carbonation escapes (effervescence) and the pH will increase.

Aside from having to treat the water with a lot of acid, it's entirely fine. Biggest issue for you is to limit evaporation and refill so that you're not constantly fighting against high TA and rising pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.