Have $3000 to spend on AGP. What do y'all recommend?

The title says it all. Preferences are: Oval, Metal or Resin, >=48" deep, pretty liner (maybe fish or something), sand or cart filter, 2sp or vsp, simple timer and SWG if at all possible.

YAAAAAAY!! :kim:

New place? What's the pool area like, lots of trees?

I think everyone will be a huge fan of VSPs but on that budget I'd stick with the 2-speed. Cart or sand is up to you and is probably more dependent on where the pool will be setup.

I'm a Pentair fan but they tend to be higher priced.

How much automation do you want? Remote control or just time-of-day type controls?

SWG is a non-negotiable. It would be criminal to not setup the pool with salt....

The AutoPilot total control systems can automate pool pumps and SWGs but I think the price range for that is much too high given your budget.

What kind of pool volume are you looking at?

The AutoPilot total control systems can automate pool pumps and SWGs but I think the price range for that is much too high given your budget.

What kind of pool volume are you looking at?

Something like 18 X 30 I would think.

- - - Updated - - -

Look at the pool factory. Myself and many others have very good things to say about them and their pools and customer service

Will do. Thanks!

Something like 18 X 30 I would think.

That'll put you in the 16k gallon range which is going to require a higher-end SWG. Probably your best option would be the Hayward Aquarite with T-15 cell. You'll have to run it about 1/3rd of a day at 100% to get enough FC output so you're looking at a pump runtime of 8-10 hours per day. That'll definitely require a 2-speed pump to keep your electricity costs low.

I think the SWG is going to eat up too much of your pool budget so you might have to go with manual chlorination and just leave room in the plumbing for a future SWG installations (need about 18-24" of straight pipe after the filter).

I'd focus on getting the right size pool you want and getting the foundation properly set. You can get some halfway decent used equipment on e-Bay or CraigsList to get your started and then save up for upgrades.

Unless, of course, some long lost Nigerian Prince with a fortune locked up in an overseas account could use your help in getting the funds transferred to the US...then all you need to do is give "him" your SSN & credit info and he'll totally hook you up.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You stated >=48". I recommend at least 52". Check with the local authorities whether they enforce inspection of pools. Regardless, a 52" pool wall prevents the necessity of a fence with gates and all the rest. Simply removing the ladder when not in use or using one with a lockable gate will prevent a lot of headache from the locals, the insurance underwriter and all those types.

Does your $3000 include ground prep, fence, GFCI outlet, etc? If so, you will spend most of that on those things with hopefully enough left over for an Intex type pool.
That's what we did this year - spent the $$ on fence, ground prep, landscaping, etc. Then put a Bestway (Intex clone) in to keep our costs down for now. As it wears out, our pool fund will be ready for a more permanent AGP.
OTOH, if you don't need to spend a bunch on those non-pool pool things, the advice above seems to make a lot of sense.
Either way, good luck!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.