How long to run pump?

Aug 13, 2017
Midland, TX
I found that my SWG makes 7g/hour. I just finished a SLAM b/c I didn't have the TF-100 test kit yet and my CYA was well over 100. I changed out about 1/3 of the water as suggested, SLAMed for 2 days and passed an OCLT last night. Here are my numbers today (I'm sure someone else has suggested it, but I just added a dry erase pen to my kit, so I can note the numbers right next to the test.)

pH- 7.8
FC- 20
CH- 800 (can't control that much- it's that high in our tap water)
TA- 270
CYA-90
Temp stays around 80
Didn't retest salt- system isn't complaining about it.

How much chlorine do I typically need to add per day i.e.- how many hours a day should I run the SWG? We have ridiculously strong BLAZING sun here in West Texas.

TYA- This site and the test kit have saved my pool. If I hadn't been about to get things under control, I think my husband would have thrown everything in the trash this fall. My pool is little, but I love it.

Welcome to the forum!

You need about 3 - 4 ppm of chlorine added per day. Use the Effects of Adding Chemicals in PoolMath. I just did and at 7g/hr you will need to run your pump 10 hours per day to get 3 ppm.

Your CSI is very high. Over 1.00. I know the W Texas water is bad but you will struggle to operate your SWCG very long before it scales up.
Your best bet is to drive your TA much lower and keep you pH as close to 7.2 as you can. But this will be a struggle.

To lower TA - Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Take care.

Before you start pouring acid, be aware that the pH test is not accurate with FC above 10. So don't do anything until the FC dips so you have an accurate pH. Also, you do not the salt level to get an accurate CSI calculation. If the test kit is new, you might also be dealing with static buildup on the R-009. See the notes in Pool School - Total Alkalinity.

Lastly, that CYA is pretty high. If you choose to lower it by water replacement, do that before you try lowering TA. No point in treating water only to dump it immediately. The refill water will also change the test results.

With CYA 90 on an swg system, with full Texas sun, is it really so high Richard?

I mean, she's 10 ppm away from the recommended CYA of 80 for swg setups.

The TA is very high though and should be worked on.

dhaas1111- thanks for the heads up. I mistyped. It is 1700 gallons according to the manufacturer. I don't keep it super full b/c my kids just end up splashing most of the water out. I'll change my signature. I did have it right in pool math.

My FC dropped under 10 due to adding water, lots of sun, and kids in the pool. I reran the tests and got TA of 140. I added acid per Pool Math suggestion and am giving it about half an hour then test again. I guess I'll just keep working both sides of the pH and TA while keeping an eye on the chlorine until things come into line.

Any other suggestions?

So, if I keep my FC target around 9 to be in line with my CYA, is the little blue daily test kit useless for me in regard to chlorine?

My FC dropped under 10 due to adding water, lots of sun, and kids in the pool. I reran the tests and got TA of 140. I added acid per Pool Math suggestion and am giving it about half an hour then test again. I guess I'll just keep working both sides of the pH and TA while keeping an eye on the chlorine until things come into line.

Any other suggestions?

So, if I keep my FC target around 9 to be in line with my CYA, is the little blue daily test kit useless for me in regard to chlorine?
Pretty much. If ever you test zero with the FAS-DPD and you wonder if you're crazy, then the colorblock test will work as a sanity check.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.