My pool chemisty is one big hot mess

Aug 4, 2017
dallas, tx
So, it's embarrassing to say, but my chemistry has gone to heck ..... I was out of town for a few weeks (about 8 weeks) and counted on someone else to take care of things and I get back to one huge mess. I don't have one of the TFT test kits, but here are the results I'd gotten from 2 different stores. I had the tests done about an hour apart and the numbers were fairly similar so for now... I really need help to get things back to where they need to be. I've hesitated to put anything in until I head from someone here because I want to make sure and do things the right way... I should add the pool is green as heck right now...

FC - 0
CC -0
pH - 8.0
TA - 130
CH- 630
CYA - pretty much 0

Everything is so out of wack.. I don't even know where to start.. the CH is so high and the CYA seems so low. I tried to dissolve 4 pounds of Leslie's conditioner into the pool over the last 3 to 4 days but the CYA hasn't registered any change from what I was told..... Any help would be appreciated.... I gotta get this under control as soon as possible.. it's so freaking frustrating... And I'm worried my plaster is getting damaged....

I'm working on getting a TFT kit but I don't have the luxury of waiting til I get it to start fixing things....

Re: My pool chemisty is one big hot mess

I would pour 4 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine in it immediately. This should raise you to 10 FC. I wouldn't worry about CYA till you get your test kit since you added some. Try keeping your FC at 10.

Yes bleach will work fine it is basically the same as liquid chlorine just slightly different concentrations.

Your CH is getting a little high but still workable. The only option to lower it would be to replace water.

So, it's embarrassing to say, but my chemistry has gone to heck ..... I was out of town for a few weeks (about 8 weeks) and counted on someone else to take care of things and I get back to one huge mess. I don't have one of the TFT test kits, but here are the results I'd gotten from 2 different stores. I had the tests done about an hour apart and the numbers were fairly similar so for now... I really need help to get things back to where they need to be. I've hesitated to put anything in until I head from someone here because I want to make sure and do things the right way... I should add the pool is green as heck right now...

FC - 0
CC -0
pH - 8.0
TA - 130
CH- 630
CYA - pretty much 0

Everything is so out of wack.. I don't even know where to start.. the CH is so high and the CYA seems so low. I tried to dissolve 4 pounds of Leslie's conditioner into the pool over the last 3 to 4 days but the CYA hasn't registered any change from what I was told..... Any help would be appreciated.... I gotta get this under control as soon as possible.. it's so freaking frustrating... And I'm worried my plaster is getting damaged....

I'm working on getting a TFT kit but I don't have the luxury of waiting til I get it to start fixing things....
Has the CH always been in the 600's?

Have you been using Cal-Hypo? What is your fill water CH?

Has the CH always been in the 600's?

Have you been using Cal-Hypo? What is your fill water CH?

Cal-hypo is culprit... fill water tested at 130....

- - - Updated - - -

you want to get your ph down first
then add liquid chlorine
once you have some reliable numbers you may need to add cya

Oops.. i forgot to do that first.. im going to add acid right now to bring down ph..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Remember you can't test the pH when the FC > 10ppm.

Well, guess the high chlorine isn't going to be an issue.. I put 6 of the 121 ounce bottle of great value concentrated bleach into the pool last night... and today when I tested it... it showed no chlorine.... at least i got my pH down a little... to about 7.6........ I'm puling my hair out about everything else though... can't believe all that chlorine disappeared so fast.....

Well, guess the high chlorine isn't going to be an issue.. I put 6 of the 121 ounce bottle of great value concentrated bleach into the pool last night... and today when I tested it... it showed no chlorine.... at least i got my pH down a little... to about 7.6........ I'm puling my hair out about everything else though... can't believe all that chlorine disappeared so fast.....

Was the water green? If so it will use it up quickly. I would keep adding at night or when it is 0 till you can get a good test kit in.

Was the water green? If so it will use it up quickly. I would keep adding at night or when it is 0 till you can get a good test kit in.

Has the CYA dissolved? What is it at?

You test CC too?

Get the pH to the lower 7s.

Yes, pool is very green, the CYA all dissolved as of yesterday but it still wasn't showing up as much of anything when they tested the water for me. Didn't test CC.... will workin on lowering pH a little more today....

Am ordering the TFT100 test kit today also.....

so if i do have that bacteria that causes CYA to change to ammonia, is it easy to kill off?

It takes lots of chlorine. But you will know because the CYA you just added will be gone if you have it.

It is unusual to have this occur during the summer. Normally the bacteria issue arises over the winter after long periods of no chlorine in the pool and the pool was closed with algae present (known or unknown).

It's not the bacteria that is the problem, it's the ammonia. It takes a large amount of chlorine to oxidize a small amount of ammonia. This is one of the reasons we do not recommend algaecides that contain ammonia.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.