Is this good bleach for my pool

May 26, 2009
Eatontown, NJ
I got this at Lowes for $2.99, it's the cheapest I could find. Is there any difference in the quality compared to name brand stuff? How can I tell if it's unscented?

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

It should say on the lable somewhere that it is uncented...If not poor some in a measuring cup it will definetly smell like flowers or something just let it set on the counter or somewhere...don't get your face down in their and take a deep inhale...just sort of wait for the smell to get to you it won't take long...If it just smells like bleach...it is unscented...If you get flowers or spring day or fresh linens or something like that don't use it.

Anything over 6.5 % bleach is good.

Yes 6% is what it should be...Bleach comes in 5.5% and 6% at the store. Yes it is something that I would and have used in the past. I however mostly use 12.5% liquid pool shock, or liquid chlorine. I get it at a pretty good price at my pool store...about the only thing I go in there for. But what I use daily for pool maintenance at 12.5 % just means you have to use twice as much. So I paid 2.49 per bottle of my 12.5% and like I said that is a great price. I use about 50 to 80 ounces every other day. I would use about 100 to 160 ounces every other day to keep my chlorine leves up to the same minimum levels of Free Chlorine. It is just preference. I like not having to buy lots of bleach...I get the 12.5% in boxes of four, and the kid just puts it right in the back of the van at the loading bay. No hassle. But here we basically say use what you want to use as long as it is bleach...Don't get ripped off at the pool store!!!

liquid shock is only way to go
Everyone please humor me (I'm a stickler for detail) and call it liquid chlorine. Shock is a process that you do to your pool. Despite the bogus labeling on pool store products, "Shock" as a noun is misleading......it's a verb :lol: :lol:

duraleigh said:
liquid shock is only way to go
Everyone please humor me (I'm a stickler for detail) and call it liquid chlorine. Shock is a process that you do to your pool. Despite the bogus labeling on pool store products, "Shock" as a noun is misleading......it's a verb :lol: :lol:

Dave,
you are right...I called it liquid shock, because that is how The Great Escape Sells it. But I did call it Liquid Chlorine too!!! Pool Mom will kill me...she is forever telling me...it's what you do to you pool not what you put in it!!!

I know better!
:hammer:
Beave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
fharczuk said:
cubbybeave08 said:
hawkeye said:
liquid shock is only way to go, i get a box of 4 gallons 12.5% for $12.99 beats hauling all those jugs, and empty jugs everywhere in my garage :hammer:

Just got 8 bottles for less than 20 bucks...

Where do you go to get a deal like that? Was it a sale or regular price?

I get it at the great escape...it is a midwest mostly Illinois and Indiana pool/patio/billiards strore. But that is regular price. It actually has gone down $.50.

Check with your local Lowe's.... SOME do sell Liquid Chlorine in their lawn and Garden Area. I work there PT in Kansas. however our store does not sell it. Our Regin does not sell it. Pretty cheap was 12% if i remember right.

cortlinsdaddy said:
Check with your local Lowe's.... SOME do sell Liquid Chlorine in their lawn and Garden Area. I work there PT in Kansas. however our store does not sell it. Our Regin does not sell it. Pretty cheap was 12% if i remember right.

Thanks for the tip on Lowes. I just called my local store and they carry it in 1 gal. qty, but he didn't know the price. That would be great if it is a reasonable price since I am in there all the time. I just happen to be there twice just today.

I went to my two local pool stores here in Alabama for liquid shock, first one did not carry any, second one told me it was not available in Alabama (some law and haz mat no where but FL. can you get it :blah: ) and directed me to there powder. I walked out empty handed questioning weather it is infact available in Alabama. Next stop Lowe's and check there. Thanks for the info on this post. Anyone ever heard that liquid shock banned in some state? I just hate going to those pool stores :roll: .

YBnormal...have a pool

ybnormal said:
I went to my two local pool stores here in Alabama for liquid shock, first one did not carry any, second one told me it was not available in Alabama (some law and haz mat no where but FL. can you get it :blah: ) and directed me to there powder. I walked out empty handed questioning weather it is infact available in Alabama. Next stop Lowe's and check there. Thanks for the info on this post. Anyone ever heard that liquid shock banned in some state? I just hate going to those pool stores :roll: .

YBnormal...have a pool

Not true...it's not banned in any state. It's just more common in FL than most states and they don't enforce DOT regulations as much as in some other states so you get a lot of questionable "under the radar" transportation of it down there that you don't see much any other places.

Keep in mind, you can get regular bleach at the grocery store in a pinch.

That depends on what you call "banned". In Maryland, the rules you have to satisfy in order to sell/buy bleach with a concentration of higher than 8% are sufficiently restrictive that almost no one sells it to non-commercial purchasers. There are ways to get 10% or 12.5%, but they are impractical for almost all home owners. Speaking conversationally, it would be reasonable to say that liquid chlorine was banned in Maryland, even though that is not technically true.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.