salt in my hot tub

jamter

Jul 18, 2009
I have 370 gallon Hot Tub and want to use salt instead of bromine.
can someone tell me how much and how often to treat it? Is there a particular type of salt I should be using? are there alternatives?
thanks!

JasonLion said:
Salt is not a sanitizer. When people talk about salt pools or spas they are talking about using a salt water chlorine/bromine generator (SWG). See for example this one.

I looked over the information on the autopilot website, and I don't see the advantage. You buy an >$400 sanitation system, and they recommend you add a "power pack" before and after each use. The power packs available for sale on the website come out to $1.51 per power pack, so you'd spend $3.02 each time you use your spa. Am I missing something?

I think I'll stick to my bleach.

For an outdoor pool a SWG works really well. But for a spa the advantages are not as clear. Sanitizer demand is highly variable in a spa, which is not as good a fit with SWG. SWGs are designed to produce sanitizer slowly and steadily at a constant rate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.