2 week vacation in September - Close pool???

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
I usually close my pool the first week of October and it's always crystal clear when I open in early May (Boston area). However this year, I go on a 2 week vacation starting Sept 13th. The big question is...should I close before I go??

My current thinking is to close on the 12th (day before I leave). I think I will circulate the water at SLAM level with polyquat 60 the day before closing. Unfortunately, I have a mesh cover so there will be light getting in. Usually the water temp in mid-sept is around mid 60's so I know it's a little high. I'm hoping that the chlorine level and polyquat 60 will keep the algae at bay until the water temps dip below 60.

Leaving the pool open would be just as risky since I really don't have anyone to mind it and by that time of year there will be many leaves falling from my Maple tree. I suppose a compromise would be to just put the cover on it and leave the pump running (I have a SWG) but I'd rather not have to worry about it while I'm away, hence the current thinking just to close it up.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

If you end up closing early it may be a good idea to check FC when you return and bring it back up. You can use your brush to mix it in. I'm sure you already know but just in case it is best to wait until the water temps are below 60 to close the pool.

This year we are also going on vacation for 2 weeks, returning Sept 7. We will be bringing the FC up to SLAM level, putting on the solid cover and turning off the pump. The water will still be at its normal level. When we return, we will take off the cover, start the pump back up, test FC and maybe swim, using the heater of course. :cool: Then close the middle of October. Last year we did something similar for 3 weeks and when we returned the water was still okay. No horrible algae bloom. In the spring, we had algae but no worse than usual.
Hope this helps. :)

This year we are also going on vacation for 2 weeks, returning Sept 7. We will be bringing the FC up to SLAM level, putting on the solid cover and turning off the pump. The water will still be at its normal level. When we return, we will take off the cover, start the pump back up, test FC and maybe swim, using the heater of course. :cool: Then close the middle of October. Last year we did something similar for 3 weeks and when we returned the water was still okay. No horrible algae bloom. In the spring, we had algae but no worse than usual.
Hope this helps. :)

I like the idea of just bringing the water to SLAM level add polyquat 60, covering, and turning off pump but leaving the actual closing till I get back (really all that would be left is blowing out the lines). That way if there is algae upon my return, I can SLAM to clear things up and then close for good in October as usual. The only difference between your situation and mine is that I don't have a solid cover (mesh loop-loc), so my risk of an algae bloom is higher than yours.

Kinda wish I had a solid cover for situations like this.

I suppose I could leave the pump and SWG running with the cover on while I'm gone. My only fear is the cold nights and water evaporation. Don't wanna lose prime and burn the pump out. Will water still evaporate if the mesh cover is on?

We just returned from our 2 week vacation after having shut off the pump, brought up to SLAM level and covered it. (turned into 2 1/2 weeks before getting back to the pool).
TFP clear, water temp 59 degrees, FC 10, pH 7.5.
Drained and took off the cover. Firing up the heater to swim this week before the weather turns colder. LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.