Newbe with dumb pump question

Jun 9, 2009
Huntsville, AL
ok, what is the trick to clean the pump strainer basket without loosing a ton of water? I have been turning the pump off with the filer set on filtration, is there a certin position the filter needs to be set on so you don't loose water when cleaning the strainer?

Thanks,
YBnormal...have a pool

You should have a valve on both the skimmer line and the return line. Be sure those are turned off. I lose about a gallon of water when I clean the pump basket when I do that. I have a skimmer sock and almost never have to open the pump basket.

Thanks for the reply, didn't know if I was doing anything wrong or not. I do not have a valve on either line so I guess when I hard line them in I will have to add valves. Yes I use the skimmer sock too, only when I run my aqua critter to clean the bottom is when I get the pump strainer full of leaves. Am I suppose to leave the skimmer sock/strainer in when cleaning the bottom :oops: ??? I have been taking it out.

I have the same issue. I have an AG, without any valves like that. My pool uses hoses instead of pvc. The skimmer is above the pump, so naturally the water drains out as soon as you try to open the pump strainer basket.

When I close the pool this year, is there a way to rig a shut off valve like the one shown? Where would I get them?

I have a ball valve on each side. One end screws into the bottom of the skimmer and the hose is attached to a union (male or female, never know the difference) at the other end on the pump side. On the return side, one end is screwed into the return and the hose from the filter is attached to the other end. Here is a picture of my setup:

DSC00488-1-1.jpg

ETA: Here is a picture of the ball valve by itself:

yhst-75913425775582_2065_14299628.jpg

Thanks for the picture, that helps me alot. I take it that it's screwed into the skimmer and return port with plummer's tape?

I'll look for those valves and have them ready when I close the pool. I don't have any big trees around, so I don't think it's that big of deal right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hey y.b.... i'm in the same boat equipment-wise as you. since i been useing the sock, i rarely have to clean the pump basket, but if i do, i just turn the multi-port valve to "closed" and then i take out the skimmer basket and cram a sponge down in "skimmer hole" and then open the pump basket. very little water loss that way. the tricky part is ya just gotta remember to REMOVE the sponge before ya turn everything back on back on.

I have the same problem but I am just finishing replumbing my in-ground pool, should I install the ball valve right before the pump and after the 3-way valve that does suction from pool and spa?

sgtdvldog said:
Thanks for the picture, that helps me alot. I take it that it's screwed into the skimmer and return port with plummer's tape?

I'll look for those valves and have them ready when I close the pool. I don't have any big trees around, so I don't think it's that big of deal right now.

Yes, I used teflon tape, especially on the hose connection.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.