will higher TA help prevent PH rise

Oct 18, 2007
Central Texas
It was suggested that I raise my TA from 70 to 100 to help with constantly rising PH. However, I then read on the forum that higher TA only helps control falling PH but doesn't help stabilize rising PH.

I use 85 ounces of MA per week. I want to get the TA ironed out so I can add borates.

Can anyone clarify?

ive never heard of a higher TA keeping PH from getting higher.. like you mentioned, only to help ph bounce... a TA of 70ppm is too low regardless and should be brought up between 80-120, i like to keep it at 100 and never have many issues with low or high PH.

Do you add salt to your pool?

There are two things that tend to cause PH to rise. If your plaster is less than one year old, the PH will tend to rise. And if your TA is high and you have constant aeration, the PH will tend to rise. Your waterfall and slide will both tend to cause aeration, so the higher the TA, the faster PH will rise. If you reduce the amount of time the waterfall and slide are turned on that will help.

Since you are using bleach to provide chlorine, the recommended TA level is between 70 and 90. But if you are having problems with constantly rising PH, you can try lowering TA down to 60, which should help.

Another way to help slow down PH increases is to add borates to the pool. Borates will help buffer PH increases.

thank you,

I think I will leave my TA at 70 and add borates in the next couple of weeks.

I removed everything from my Liquidator lines; check valves, control valve and flow indicator. I finally seem to have enough flow to keep my FC up and its easier to clean. I just adjust FC using pump speed and duration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.