Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: will higher TA help prevent PH rise

1. Back To Top    #1

will higher TA help prevent PH rise

It was suggested that I raise my TA from 70 to 100 to help with constantly rising PH. However, I then read on the forum that higher TA only helps control falling PH but doesn't help stabilize rising PH.

I use 85 ounces of MA per week. I want to get the TA ironed out so I can add borates.

Can anyone clarify?
    Light grey plaster, stone coping, 38K gallon Roman shaped pool with a shallow end beach, table and bar stools, deep end bench and waterfall (Intelliflo 4X160). Taylor K-2006, Pentair 320 chlorinator, Intelliflow VF, Quad DE 100. 4 ColorLogics, 3 skimmers, 14 wall returns, 13 floor returns, TurboTwister slide, autofill and miles of pvc.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: will higher TA help prevent PH rise

ive never heard of a higher TA keeping PH from getting higher.. like you mentioned, only to help ph bounce... a TA of 70ppm is too low regardless and should be brought up between 80-120, i like to keep it at 100 and never have many issues with low or high PH.

Do you add salt to your pool?
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

3. Back To Top    #3

why do you think 70 is too low? it will evetually get too low with continued MA additions, but I believe 70 is ok according to pool-school/recommended_levels
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

There are two things that tend to cause PH to rise. If your plaster is less than one year old, the PH will tend to rise. And if your TA is high and you have constant aeration, the PH will tend to rise. Your waterfall and slide will both tend to cause aeration, so the higher the TA, the faster PH will rise. If you reduce the amount of time the waterfall and slide are turned on that will help.

Since you are using bleach to provide chlorine, the recommended TA level is between 70 and 90. But if you are having problems with constantly rising PH, you can try lowering TA down to 60, which should help.

Another way to help slow down PH increases is to add borates to the pool. Borates will help buffer PH increases.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

We've had our TA at 60 for several months and our pH hardly moves.
    32x16 buried Doughboy, 4' shallow - 7' deep
    Pentair Dynamo 1 hp, 2-speed - Pentair 150# SD40 w/zeolite (75#)
    One skimmer/two returns/Aquabot Turbo T2

6. Back To Top    #6

thank you,

I think I will leave my TA at 70 and add borates in the next couple of weeks.

I removed everything from my Liquidator lines; check valves, control valve and flow indicator. I finally seem to have enough flow to keep my FC up and its easier to clean. I just adjust FC using pump speed and duration.
    Light grey plaster, stone coping, 38K gallon Roman shaped pool with a shallow end beach, table and bar stools, deep end bench and waterfall (Intelliflo 4X160). Taylor K-2006, Pentair 320 chlorinator, Intelliflow VF, Quad DE 100. 4 ColorLogics, 3 skimmers, 14 wall returns, 13 floor returns, TurboTwister slide, autofill and miles of pvc.