Would large amounts of baquacil algicide get rid of the mold and slime issues?

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
This is one thing I never tried before. In adding the usual maintenance does of regular (not performance) algicide yesterday, I got looking at the label and noticed it says for persistent microorganism accumulation to use the initial dose, let the filter turned off after adding, and then filter for like 24 hours. The main ingredient is dimethyl benzyl ammonian chloride (49% by weight). Would this be an ingredient that would effectively combat mold and slime? It just got me wondering being that white water mold is fungal and pink slime is bacterial. I DO know that adding the initial dose causes some major foaming in the pool for well over a week (had to add anti-foam in order to get ready for a pool party back in June). I'm highly skeptical that this algicide would be 'the answer' to the mold/slime problems but wanted to get some opinions. A few people suggested to me earlier this season that I should use performance algicide instead. I didn't know there was a such a product in the baquacil line until it was mentioned to me.

I'm curious....do you even get to enjoy your pool with all these non-stop mold/slime problems??

Will tossing yet one more (or more of) some expensive chemical ever be the straw that breaks the camel's back and convinces you that this Baqucil stuff just is not worth the headache and cost?

My two cents for what its worth.

Maddie :flower:

anthony, i dont know. i never tried that when i was on b-cil. i always went with their lineclean product, which also requires oxidizer, sanitizer and cdx (if you are on the cdx program). i also never used the performance algaecide, just regular. i remember the perf was so much more expensive but dont recall why else i did not try it. dont recall the chemical/conc. differences. if you already have the algaecide, why not try it? but i would not go out and buy a bunch, nor would i expect a miracle. really, i would have thought the ahh-some, which is supposed to work on biofilms, would have been the best option (short of converting to chlorine of course!).

Closed pool yesterday and even though pool co. said I did not need to blow out lines because they are below freeze line, pool guy did because he said wanted to see what is in lines. Return in deep end was perfect but return next to steps had a lot of dried white water mold. The b'cill just could not kill it. I had it twice this summer and put the start up amts. in and turned of pump overnight, cleaned sand. I am on the CDX system. I used ahh-some but did not kill it in pipe. B'cill is expensive but did not do the job. Have been on it for 25 yrs and don't remember my husband having this problem.

...... return next to steps had a lot of dried white water mold. The b'cill just could not kill it. I had it twice this summer and put the start up amts. in and turned of pump overnight, cleaned sand. I am on the CDX system. I used ahh-some but did not kill it in pipe. B'cill is expensive but did not do the job. Have been on it for 25 yrs and don't remember my husband having this problem.

Jeannie, i had this same occurrence the last several years i was on b-cil: white mold at return next to steps when closing and startup. this is what i had used lineclean for in addition to help with pink slime. i thought the ahhsome would help clear that out. sorry to hear that did not work. i got to where i was using the lineclean at startup but still had the mold in returns at closing. very frustrating. so glad i switched to chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.