Water Clarifier to get rid of fine dirt?

Mark,

Wow, a lot has happened since I replied... keep up the SLAM and you should get rid of the green pretty quickly. A word of caution. Don't be tempted to take shortcuts. You really have to keep FC at SLAM level all the time. Frequent testing and adding chlorine to be sure and brushing are needed. If you do it right it will be over quickly. If not, it can drag on. Some people try not to use all the chlorine due to cost but it costs more in the long run since the SLAM has to last longer.

Back to your filter issue. If your filter is loading up that's actually good. You may have to bite the bullet with a couple of backwashes on short cycles and this may be the best way to reduce the cloudiness. I don't know why pools with high water costs end up with sand or DE. Cartridge filters waste almost no water and they work fine; the filters last years. But you can't change that now.

One last thing that may help. You'll get a lot of advice and everybody giving help have great intentions. Sometimes recommendations conflict with each other. When that happens I suggest weigh moderators and experts higher than others. But keep in mind everybody has best intentions.

I hope this helps.

Chris
Yea a lot of helpful advice here for sure, I'm so thankful. I've been checking the FC and scrubbing the pool often, hopefully the green will start to fade. It'll be 24 hours since I brought the FC up at 1PM EST. What's the typical turn around?

I'm going to post to see if anyone has any advice for topping off their pool with well water. I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews on amazon for metal trapping filters and don't want to waste my money, although $350 for 4,000 gallons from my local water delivery guy is a lot to spend after each backwash.

It usually takes at least a few days to complete the SLAM process can be up to a week+ depending on how good you are testing and adding FC.
Thanks, yea we have been testing 4+ times a day and adding more bleach as needed. We also have been brushing and vaccuming at least twice a day. I can definitly notice a difference! I can't wait to have clear water again :paddle:

I'm on day 6 of my SLAM and my pool is looking clearer than the day we had it filled. I'm simply amazed :rockon:

I've been using the hairnet trick on my skimmer and vaccum. I put three hairnets on each and that seems to be doing a great job at getting the really fine dirt out and reducing the cloudy water. I left some hairnets on the skimmer overnight and they came out significantly dirtier, which is great. I think they're trapping that super fine dirt that seems to pass right through the 600lbs of sand in my filter. I'm also amazed at the number of tiny bugs I get with such a simple trick. I hightly recommend this to anyone with a sandfilter. I really think this should be in the pool school right with adding DE to pools with sand filters.

I passed the OCLT so I'm going to let our FC level come down to 5 over the next couple of days then get some stablizer in there and maintain FC at 5 and CYA at 70 (per the CYA chart Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart).

I'm kinda glad this happened. I've learned more about hot to maintain my pool in the last 6 days than I have the entire 2 months I've had the pool.

:lovetfp::lovetfp::lovetfp:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.