OB in NW Las Vegas- Open book here and on a budget

deric203

Silver Supporter
Feb 16, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Lesson #1- I bang on the key board when typing memos and letters. Put forum messages on Word document then transfer to the forum. This will avoid typing a page long post, only to disappear near completion due to uncontrolled banging on keyboard.

Background- Purchased a 12 year old house in March of 2017. House needs a lot of TLC. Mature neglected landscaping in backyard. Somehow I convinced the wife that a swimming pool should come before new cabinets and flooring.

Thanks to Big Will for the emails and encouragement that an owner/ builder project is possible.

I have concerns about two forum rules:

1. Proper Grammar- This will be difficult and spelling will be an even bigger challenge. Apologies in advance.
  2. Vulgarity/ Obscenities- Although my five children never heard a swear word from me while growing up, I have very limited control while working on cars and construction projects. I'll do my best.

Swimming Pool- Construction will start some time between October 2017 and April 2018. Construction time lines will depend greatly on my financial adviser (Wife. She has a very skewed finance philosophy that places retirement planning and the electric bill ahead of building a pool)

Freeform pool/spa, wet deck with bubblers, one sheer decent, automation, SWG and limited decking. All subject to a strict budget.

Thanks to this forum and all of the Las Vegas builders that have contributed information. I'll be begging for information as I continue.

I have received NO approval from the financial adviser (FA) to spend any money on a pool. She said nothing about spending money on the design and plans. With those stipulations I have purchased design and plan services. I hope to post them here for review in the next couple of days.

Meanwhile I will provide photos of the backyard and current pool.

I look forward to utilizing the vast knowledge and experience that members of TFP so graciously provide.

I see you have the shallow end as 3' deep. That is very shallow. It needs to be at least 3.5' of WATER depth (middle of skimmer to bottom of pool) for a full crawl stroke. Hold a tape measure up to you to see where 3' is.

I would rotate the deep end light slightly to so it shines more towards the water fall than the spa. That way it will not shine in people's eyes in the spa.

Kim:kim:

Congrats on the new build and welcome to the forum. Couple things, don't worry about grammar and obscenities. Kim will correct anything you screw up. (I know from experience) Don't worry about the money, my wife still doesn't know the exact total of our build. Other than that enjoy the process and take a lot of pictures. BigWill and I used the same subs so I am sure he gave you lots of insight but if you need anything feel free to ask.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still trying to figure out forum posting. Hopefully will post photos rather that links. Thanks for all of your iinput.
Attached photo for review. I have scribbled black lines where I want pool perimeter updated. Mostly rounding some of the squared transitions.

Kim- Depth will be 3'6" in shallow end. Deep end light will be moved as recommended.

Jeevs- I'm following closely and learning. My equipment list will look a lot like yours. I notice the Raypak 406A heater. Everything else is Pentair. I understand that there is a forum consensus that this heater is tops. Do you lose any automation features by not using the Pentair heater?

IMAZ- I blew it. Showed my wife this thread. She read it. I got grilled about the missing $$$. I'll have to start thinking like a criminal for future expenditures.

Attachments

• Hall-Update.jpg
    Hall-Update.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 840
Jeevs- I'm following closely and learning. My equipment list will look a lot like yours. I notice the Raypak 406A heater. Everything else is Pentair. I understand that there is a forum consensus that this heater is tops. Do you lose any automation features by not using the Pentair heater?

Im still learning too ��.. I actually bought the pentair heater yesterday . If you stay all pentair you get a 3 year warranty so they sucked me in.. I wanted raypak cause based on all I have read I think it's a better heater, oh well I'm sure the pentair is great too. I will send you the sub list tonight. Cheers

Are you sure that you want to go with new construction, rather than trying to find a way to spruce up that current pool? :cool:

Will be be looking forward to your build.

John

You think like my wife.
I have refused to spruce anything up in the backyard for the 5 months we have lived here. I'm slowly cutting off all water to the plants and grass/weeds. Current landscaping is dying as planned. Wife is learning to hate the backyard in it's current state. Wife is a humming bird nut. Spent a lot of time in our old backyard photographing her humming birds. I have educated her on how much humming birds love swimming pool water. (Don't really think that's true but the idea is growing on her).

Hoping to start excavation on October 16, 2017. This will include removal of all backyard landscaping, lowering elevation approximately 4 inches and cutting out 60 feet by 2 feet of concrete.

Here is a list of anticipated equipment. It includes two Intelliflo VS pumps. I recall a thread that addressed the preferred water feature pump and it wasn't a VS pump. Any input would be appreciated.

Pool Equipment List
Plumbing

Intelliflo VS Pump #011018 (Main and spa)
Intelliflo VS Pump #011018 (Bubblers and sheer descent)
420 Sq. ft. Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter #160301
Mastertemp 400K heater #460736
2- Colorcascade LED bubblers #580006

Electric

Pentair Easytouch 8 w/IC40Pentair Screen Logic kit #520545
4- Pentair Glowbrite LED lights #619994 (2 kits)
2HP air blower

Decking

700 Sq. ft. Dark Noce travertine- French pattern (Still subject to turn into Kooldeck if money runs out)
Dark Noce coping

Spa spillover/ Raised wall- Lux-Roc Ledgestone/ color-Rocky Mountain

Love the design and material choices! So pretty!!
In looking at your list, you might do a search on here for LED bubblers. I seem to remember others having trouble with them.
Oct 16 will be here before you know it!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.