Seeking to tame the lagoon, hello everyone!

Jul 17, 2009
Lowell, MA
Hello!
To start off my name is Kimber and I am a junior in college, a newlywed, a new homeowner and now responsible for a very sad looking pool. I have a feeling I'm going to be around a lot now. I've never cared for a pool before and this one has quite a few problems. I've been trying to clean up my pool all day and this evening I collapsed in front of my computer with my list of dilemmas and found this forum to be the most helpful tool I have ever come across, the quality and clarity of the information is stunning, so thank you for all that.

Now, the lagoon. It is very sad looking as I have mentioned. There is poor, old looking equipment, air in and coming out of everywhere, severe algae and lots of debris. I've never seen the bottom. I also have a small shed which is where they decided to shove all the equipment so it is very cramped and inaccessible. Oh, and there is CRAZY pvc everywhere! Tons of pipes jutting every which way, some going nowhere at all. *sigh* I start this adventure on Wednesday, now feeling much more prepared. I'm crossing my fingers.

Thanks for all the help already,
Kimber

First off Welcome to the forum Kimber!! :wave:

What type of pool is it AG, IG. If its IG, what type of finish is it, vinyl ,plaster? Do you happen to know what type of chlorination the previous owner was using tablets, liquid chlorine, baquacil? If your not sure is there anyway you can find out from the previous owner? I might suggest taking a water sample to a local pool store and asking them to test it (dont buy any of the stuff they will try to sell you) and post the numbers here. We will be able to advise you what your course of action should be.
If there is a leaf rake there try getting as much of the debris out of the pool you can even if you cant see the bottom. This will help get your pool cleared up because algae loves junk on the bottom of pools and in the end it has to come out anyway.
If its possible could you take some pictures of the plumbing and post them here for our gurus to look at and maybe they can offer some suggestions on what to do with it.
You need to get yourself a reliable test kit so you can test your own water. Being able to test your own water is the most important thing in having control of your pool. There are 2 types people use on this forum the fist is the TF-100 test kit or the Taylor K2006. I use the TF-100, its sold by a member of this forum so there is support here basically
24/7 and the customer service is outstanding.
There is a section in the forum called Pool School that has a wealth of information in it on clearing your pool etc. I suggest reading through it so you will understand what advice people here are giving you. If you have any question just ask and post back here in this same thread you started.

Lastly, if you could add your equipment to you signature it would be helful to us in the future when we give advise about your pool.

Hi, and welcome!

1) read Pool School
2) scoop all the big junk out with a leaf rake (deep net 'bag' that goes on pole)
3) get a good test kit (see my signature) It is a small investment that will save you hundreds of dollars!!
4) read pool school again!
5) come back here and post questions! You want to separate out your water quality questions and your plumbing questions to the proper forums.

You will be swimming in no time!

1) I already posted equipment and stats in my sig. Don't know if you guys can't see it or something, but its there.
2) Read pool school twice :) with notes!
3) I think the previous owner was using some sort of powdered chlorine since there was a huge bucket of it in the shed.
4) Also have been scooping the junk out of the bottom. It's been slow going since most of it has decayed and it's just little floaty bits now.
5) Running out to get the kit this Monday
6) I think I have a leak, water level dropped 1 to 1 1/2 inches overnight even though it was raining.

There is a leak detection article in Pool School.

The TF-100 is only sold online, Leslie's Pools sometimes sells a re-branded version of the K-2006, but often they don't carry it in stores and newbies end up with a poor imitation or the k-2005. Make sure you don't get the wrong kit....most pool stores don't sell good kits. They want you to come in to their store for "free" testing, so they can convince you to buy chemicals.

You are better off ordering the kit on the internet, read the article in Pool School that compares the two kits, the links from that page take you to the sites to order.

Sorry Kim when I read some of the follow up posts I saw your equipment was in your signature. Im sorry I must have missed it.
Do you happen to know what the powdered chemical is or was. Chances are its made your CYA so high that there isnt enough free chlorine in the water to fight the algae.
Keep trying to scoop out as much "stuff and junk" as you can with the leaf rake. Brush the pool as well, it will keep things stirred up so the filter can catch some of it.
Once you can get us a set of numbers they can better help you with your lagoon.

Kimber, welcome to TFP!! (I agree with your assessment of this site :goodjob: :mrgreen: !)

As Ann said, there is a quick and easy to read article on leak detection in Pool School - if you need clarification on what it suggests or any help with finding the leak, we are here to help! :)

Tiz and the others have told you how to clear up the pool as quickly as possible. Can you tell us what the bucket of dry chlorine says are the active ingredients? I'm guessing that it's di-chlor which would indicate that your cya level is probably way too high :(

As has been said, chem numbers are needed for us to tell you what you need to add to the pool to clear it up ASAP - take care, study hard, don't ignore your new husband :wink: and trust in us to help you get your pool swimable :cheers: