Small Easy Set with Cloudy Water

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
A friend of mine made a mistake today of complaining that her Easy Set pool water was a little cloudy. I made the mistake of sounding like I know something about caring for a pool when I completely gushed about TFP and how clean my water is. She asked me to come test her water and get hers sparkly again. For reasons I'm not entirely clear on, she really really does not want to drain and refill.

Her pool is the same as mine, although with a different pump (still factory, but looks different). We have 1000 gallon 10' X 30" Easy Sets.

I tested her pool tonight, with the following results:

Water appearance: surprisingly clean of debris; dull but more or less clear - by no means white, not sure if "cloudy" - I'd say dull.

FC = 5 (using TF kit)
CC = 1 (using TF kit)
pH = 7.2 (but very very light) (using hth kit)

Her test earlier this week showed less than 30 CYA (dot never disappeared). She used the hth kit for that test.

Since the CYA test earlier this week, at my suggestion, she added one ounce of dichlor. I think that was yesterday. She also added some "granular chlorine" instead of the bleach I had suggested. She doesn't know how much -- about 1/4 cup she thinks, and other than calling it granular chlorine and knowing is a different product than the dichlor, she doesn't really know much about it.

For the month or so before this week that the pool has been filled, she was adding hth starter kit stuff, but I don't know the specifics.

Based on tonight's numbers, and assuming a 20 for CYA, I added 10 ounces of liquid bleach (6%). Per the pool calculator I think that should put her at 10 FC, so shock level. I told her to not add dichlor until her CC was .5 or less and water was sparkly and no longer dull.

While I was there I did notice that her pump did not really push much water out. I put my hand over the hose and could barely feel it. Then I took of the grate thing over that opening and could feel it much more strongly. Her grate thing has a much smaller grid than mine. She is using the filter/pump that came with the pool. They leave the pump running at all times no one is in the pool.

My plan is to go to her house tomorrow morning and check FC and CC again. If she is still above .5, I will tell her to add bleach back up to shock level of 10 ppm and then I'll go over Sun morning and check again (I won't be able to go over Sat evening).

Have I told her correctly? I hate to be such a newbie and be responsible for someone else's pool. Luckily the weather here stinks for swimming right now (although it is otherwise beautiful with cool temps and very low humidity for this area), so maybe she won't kill me if the pool is unusable tomorrow and Sunday, but if I'm not giving her sound advice, please chime in so I can get out of it before I mess her up worse.

If her FC is within proper limits for her CYA, but CC are over .5, can the kids swim????

It sounds like you are on the right track.

I would check the filter. The small Intex filters aren't very good to begin with and get dirty fairly quickly. The lower flow rate might just be a smaller pump, but it could also be a clogged filter.

Okay -- I tested their water just now (9:00 am Saturday). I also changed their filter. It had white slimy stuff throughout. Also showed them how to have the pump vented. One or both of these solutions produced much more flow.

Test Results:

Appearance: not discernibly different than last night -- clear but dull (they say cloudy, but it is not at all opaque).

FC = 7 (using TF Kit)
CC = .5 (using TF Kit)

Last night I had added enough bleach to put it to at least 10 ppm FC using pool calculator. I did not do an FC test after adding that amount to confirm, however.

Does the fact that they lost 3 ppm FC last night mean I need to keep shocking even though CC is down to .5? What should I tell them to do today -- they would like to swim if not dangerous. They also don't want to lose ground, so if getting it back to shock level for the day is the advice, they'll do it and wait to swim.

Thanks.

crek31 said:
Okay -- I tested their water just now (9:00 am Saturday). I also changed their filter. It had white slimy stuff throughout. Also showed them how to have the pump vented. One or both of these solutions produced much more flow.

Test Results:

Appearance: not discernibly different than last night -- clear but dull (they say cloudy, but it is not at all opaque).

FC = 7 (using TF Kit)
CC = .5 (using TF Kit)

Last night I had added enough bleach to put it to at least 10 ppm FC using pool calculator. I did not do an FC test after adding that amount to confirm, however.

Does the fact that they lost 3 ppm FC last night mean I need to keep shocking even though CC is down to .5? What should I tell them to do today -- they would like to swim if not dangerous. They also don't want to lose ground, so if getting it back to shock level for the day is the advice, they'll do it and wait to swim.

Thanks.

I say swim today, and then tonight, raise it back up to shock level. Your addition last night helped lower the CC's so that's a good thing, another day or two of shocking and it should be sparkly again.

I'm going to guess here and say she's probably not running the pump enough to keep it clear....The pump should run whenever they're not swimming....for best results.

Thanks for your replies. At about 10:00 I had them add another 6 ounces bleach to put it back to shock and told them not to swim. However, now I know they have some company in town and would have liked to swim (oops) -- so . . .

FPM - do you agree that if they got it to shock at 10:30 or so this morning that by 2:00 or so they should safely be able to swim since it should be back below shock level by then? It is pretty sunny today even though temps aren't real high, and their pool is in full sun. They don't have the FAS-DPD test and I am not in a position to go over and test again today. I though if they use their OTO and it is yellow not orange they would be okay to swim, and then return it to shock overnight. Does that sound like an accurate enough way to know when they can get in the water today, or is it necessary that I go back over and verify FC and CC again before they let the kids swim??

THANKS.

Thank you! I just called her and she said the pool looks the best it has looked in a long time and her house full of kids are happy they can get in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.