Water turning cloudy

May 27, 2009
Azle, Texas
WOW, we have had a great summer with our pool, unlike previous years with the pool store.

But... now my water is turning cloudy. Here are my numbers:

FC: 4
CC: 0
TC: 4
PH: 7.8
T/A: 240
CYA: 47
Temp: 83

We have always had high PH and T/A, we add the chemicals needed by the pool calculater. We let our dog get in the pool. Could that have something to do with it. We are in Texas, the average temp has been 104. The pool is in the shade most of the day.

Any help would be appreciated.

Go ahead and use some Muratic Acid to lower the PH down to 7.2.

Tonight, perform an [ur=http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_testl]overnight FC loss test[/url], and if you lose more than 1ppm of FC, you should shock the pool. If the FC is holding, maybe it's something else. How often do you run your pump?

I am using the TF-100 kit.

My CH is 60, according to the Basic Pool Chemistry: In a vinyl lined pool there is no need for calcium.

From that information I would say I am okay with 60. although the pool calculator says I need to add 506 oz. of calcium chloride.

What should I do?

I wanted to make sure your calcium wasn't excessive.....it's not. Your right you don't need to add any because your pool is vinyl.

The CYA test result looked like it came from a digital readout of a strip (that's bad). We typically report CYA in 10's (30, 50, etc.)

The overnight FC loss test that FPM suggested is my thinking, too. The cloudiness is not from excess calcium (nor is it from your dog unless he's really dirty :lol: ) so I think you'll find that you will lose some chlorine overnight and that would indicate the need to shock.

You obviously been reading up in pool school (good for you :goodjob: )......if you understand the overnight FC loss test, perform it as soon as possible. If not, post back and we'll walk you through it.

My pool really never totally went clear. I did the overnight test and the results showed no loss of FC.

Today my pool is very cloudy. I tested my water last night and this morning. Nothing much has changed. Here are my results this morning:

TC: 4
CC: .5
PH: 7.5
TA: 240 (has always been high)
CYA: 45 (my CYA is between 40 and 50, I call it 45 - should I round up or down??)

It has rained the last two days.

I was noticing the relationship betweem Chlorine/CYA on the chart. Am I reading this correctly:
For a Non-SWG pool:

CYA 40,
Min FC: 3,
Target FC: 5,
Shock FC: 16 - what is 16 (16 ounces???)

Also, I hear people speak of pucks. Are pucks the stablizing chlorinating tablets. I have some of the tablets in my pool (left over from the pool store). The ingriedients read: 99.4% Trichloro-s-triazinetrione, .6% other. Is this a good thing to have?

Please help, I am afraid I am going to lose my pool!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It has been my experience that the CYA eating bateria will thrive at FC levels close to or right below the min FC in the CYA/FC charts. The water does turn slightly cloudy, and the chlorine consumption increases slightly. The solution is to raise the FC to the top of the range, and keep it there for several days. My suggestion anyways :)

doglover said:
CYA 40,
Min FC: 3,
Target FC: 5,
Shock FC: 16 - what is 16 (16 ounces???)
Shock FC is the level of FC needed to reach 'shock level'. With a CYA of 40, the shock level is 16ppm FC.
Also, I hear people speak of pucks. Are pucks the stablizing chlorinating tablets. Yes.

I have some of the tablets in my pool (left over from the pool store). The ingriedients read: 99.4% Trichloro-s-triazinetrione, .6% other. Is this a good thing to have?
They can be used when you are away (vacation) to chlorinate the pool; but, you need to understand that they add CYA.
You can determine how much CYA each puck adds by using Jason's Pool Calculator, Effect of Adding Chemicals' section (near the bottom)

Please help, I am afraid I am going to lose my pool!!!
All will be okay. :)
Earlier you tested your CYA at 45. For the Chlorine/CYA Chart, I would use 50. This will help insure that you don't fall below the minimum.
Also, looking at the time of your post, 11:41 AM, with TC 4, CC .5, your FC is 3.5, your FC will likely drop too low and will be below your minimum before you dose back up this evening.

I sugggest you shock your pool and then start maintaining your FC based on CYA of 50, which is Min. 4, Target 7 or 8. This would mean raising your FC each evening to about 9 or 10.

doglover said:
My pool really never totally went clear. I did the overnight test and the results showed no loss of FC.

Today my pool is very cloudy.

Joyce gave you great info. I'll just add: Did you increase your run time on the pump? If not, you should, I recommend you run it on low 24/7. Check to make sure your sand isn't channelled, which can happen with a large pump like that, run on high all the time. Then, when the FC is holding overnight, try adding a little DE to the sand filter to help with clarity. Instructions are in pool school.

Okay I now have my FC at 20 and holding, but my CC are 0, they range from 0 to .5. In fact my CC have never been above .5. Why is my pool now Turquoise!!!!

I very frustrated. I would think that my CC would be higher than that to have a pool looking like my does? Can someone explain this to me.

Thanks for all your help, yall are wonderful!!!!

The presence of combined chloramines (CC's) is a very good indicator you need to shock to clear your pool.

However, the lack of CC's doesn't mean you don't need to shock.

You can still have algae without CC's in your pool

Shocking your pool is a process that can take a few days......not a one time dosage. Shocking involves constant high levels of FC, frequent brushing, cleaning your filter to remove what it has collected and running your pump 24/7 until your pool is crystal clear.

If you back off any of those, particularly the constant high chlorine, your pool will not clear.

1. Did you do an overnight test?

2. Have you had your fill water tested for metals?

3. Can you post a pic of your water?

4. Have you added anything containing copper?

Hang in there! You'll get your pool back :-D

. Did you do an overnight test? Yes and FC is holding, it was 20 last night and 20 this morning

2. Have you had your fill water tested for metals? no

3. Can you post a pic of your water? I will

4. Have you added anything containing copper? not that I know of, I only use what the pool calculator tells me to and I have used the left over pucks from the pool store.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.