Another new AG pool start-up

hawkins3

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
Eastern NC
I've read (and re-read Pool School & will read many more times) and just used my TF-100 for the first time on my fill water source (county water). The installers are coming tomorrow to finish the setup, so hopefully I'll be able to start filling Sunday after filling with 1 ft of water for 24 hours. Here are the results of the fill water test (did more than just the pH & TA because I wanted the practice). Is it safe to assume these numbers will be the same/similar to my first test that I'll do once the pool's filled?

Cl: did not register (powder did not make water turn pink nor could I notice any yellow when tried the K-1000 test)
Br: did not register
pH: between 7.2 & 7.5 using K-1000 (shade probably a little closer to 7.5 than the 7.2)
TA: 50 (red held at 5 drops)
CH: 40 (lavender turned to blue & held at 4 drops)

So if I understand from some of the other new pool start-up advice & using the pool calculator, I should ...

1. Start adding bleach each evening once the pump is running & the water is at the proper level in the skimmer. (I have 4 big jugs of Great Value 6% already, see my note below about cal-hypo shock)
2. pH is ok where it is for now per the fill water test? Will retest as other adjustments made?
3. Adjust TA as needed per pool calculator
4. Add proper amounts of CYA as needed in sock

Hubby & I were "pool-stored" when purchasing the pool. I really wish I'd found this website prior to buying, but I didn't :(

We do have 24 bags of Pool Breeze shock treatment & superchlorinator (Cal Hypo 68% Other 32%) ... I hope we'll be able to use this along with the bleach so it's not a complete waste of money since the pool store does not allow return of chemicals. Luckily, we were able to return the ionizer they originally talked us into buying & exchanged it for lights, solar cover, CYA and a few pool toys.

I'd like to thank everybody on this site. You've all given such wonderful advice to so many people and have already helped us with the ionizer advice. Not only am I really excited about having a pool for the first time in my life, I'm also very happy to be armed with what is the best pool advice available!

Hawkins3,

Very nice preparation! You are well armed.

I would suggest bumping up #4 (CYA) right up to the top, go ahead and put it in your skimmer first evening. It'll start helping you hold your chlorine right away.

Then, When your CYA is up and your FC additions are going smoothly, then adjust TA (with baking soda).

I'd recheck pH after the TA adjustment.....7.5 is perfect.

You'll be able to use all that Packaged stuff (I just can't say "shock") because your calcium is way below maximum. It will add some to it but not enough to harm your pool at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.