Thoughts on Diving Boards

Aug 7, 2017
Central IL
Yesterday we had our local PB stop by and go over plans for building a vinyl IG. We are looking at a 16x38, 18x36, or 18x38. This whole time, I kept thinking I'd want a diving board with an 8ft deep end. I love swimming underwater and in deep water, so I know I want a deep pool. But the diving board...? Although I probably wouldn't use it, I thought it was a good idea because it clearly points out where in the pool it is safe to dive in from (this is the one of the most worrisome parts of owning an IG in my opinion). The PB pointed out that to add it in later would mean cutting up the concrete decking to install it. He told me that diving boards are going the way of the dinosaur and that some insurance companies won't cover them.

1) What have you heard about insurance and diving boards?
2) Do you find people still use them as a safer way to jump into the pool (or is this just my worrisome nature LOL)?
3) Do they look that bad when put in later?
4) Do you find people using the deep end of your pools?

Right now, it's just my husband and I, but one day, kids will be in the equation, as well as those at future pool parties.

Diving boards in my opinion make the pool look dated. Then again, it's your pool and you can customize to your liking.

1. could vary depending on the city/state code

2. people may use them if it's there, but most people won't look for it or even mention it if it's not there

3. it would be best to incorporate it now in the original design, it can be added seamlessly after the fact if you have a good contractor (will be more expensive after the fact)

4. people that can swim use the entire pool, people who can't swim avoided the deep end unless they have a floatation device

Good luck on your decision!

Yesterday we had our local PB stop by and go over plans for building a vinyl IG. We are looking at a 16x38, 18x36, or 18x38. This whole time, I kept thinking I'd want a diving board with an 8ft deep end. I love swimming underwater and in deep water, so I know I want a deep pool. But the diving board...? Although I probably wouldn't use it, I thought it was a good idea because it clearly points out where in the pool it is safe to dive in from (this is the one of the most worrisome parts of owning an IG in my opinion). The PB pointed out that to add it in later would mean cutting up the concrete decking to install it. He told me that diving boards are going the way of the dinosaur and that some insurance companies won't cover them.

2) Do you find people still use them as a safer way to jump into the pool (or is this just my worrisome nature LOL)?

Right now, it's just my husband and I, but one day, kids will be in the equation, as well as those at future pool parties.

From someone with a dinosaur pool and diving board---Our diving board is used by my 20 something old kids a lot when visiting, and by my grandson who is 8--fun! Previous owners had a higher than usual diving board and a maximum depth of 10 feet because they had a teenager on the school dive team. People never dive from the sides of the pool--never thought about it until reading your #2 above--if they must dive it seems the board points them to the best spot. We used the same insurance company as previous owners so no issues with insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
40,400 inground gunnite, max depth 10-ft with 1.5 hp single speed Pentair, DE filter, well water, only one skimmer working, TAYLOR TK-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD, Chester County, PA--OLD pool, but a beauty.

1. My insurer has no issues with my board but there are many that do.
2. It's a popular feature in our pool, across all age ranges. Smaller children are especially drawn to it and it can help boost their confidence in diving in (with appropriate supervision).
3. We recently replaced ours and were able to use the old bolt locations. The boards that I'm familiar with have a triangular steel bolt mount that is set in place before the concrete is poured (see diagram in link: Sr Smith | Flyte-Deck II Stand | Flyte-Deck Stand Bolt Kit | 71-209-710-SS). You can certainly drill into the dekcing later and sink (very long) bolts cemented in place, but it wouldn't be as good a solution.
4. People use every part of our pool.

There is a reason why insurance companies want to know about diving boards and trampolines, they are dangerous. My kids are 16, 13 and 6 and requested a deep end. We went with 6.5' for the deep end and my 6 year old loves jumping from the spa into the pool and we find this depth perfect.

Thanks for the responses! I think a diving board would be a nice thing to have, but my husband thinks otherwise... I truly like the idea and want it to go in with everything when built *hopefully* this spring-- nothing worse than tearing up fairly new concrete!

Foosman- I hadn't thought about the trampoline point, but you are exactly right. If anything, this has gotten me to have a nice conversation with our home owners insurance representative!

Geebot- you hit it on the head when you pointed out the supervision piece. My husband pointed out that people get stupid (some call it brave I suppose LOL) around diving boards and this is where they would be most likely to get hurt. I also agree that people will use the deep end, or at least me, and if I'm paying for it, it might as well be the way I think I'd use it.

HiddenRiver- Call me anxious, but I just feel like diving boards point out that it is indeed safe to jump/dive on from that area. Might be my years of teaching swimming lessons starting to catch up with me!

I WISH I had a diving board!! I wish my pool were deeper too.... <sigh>

My Insurance company never asked if I had a diving board or not (USAA).

I like how you figure that having one indicates where it is safest to dive in. Everyone loves to dive in or cannonball in to the deep end.

As a trauma nurse, the accidents I see is when folks dive in to shallow water. Having a diving board and deep enough end seems *safer* to me.

Maddie :flower:

It is a horrifying thought, and difficult to understand why people don't check depth first. Rule is, no diving from edge of pool, period. Only from diving board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
40,400 inground gunnite, max depth 10-ft with 1.5 hp single speed Pentair, DE filter, well water, only one skimmer working, TAYLOR TK-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD, Chester County, PA--OLD pool, but a beauty.

I'm with Maddie on this one. I feel a diving board clearly communicates where it's safe to dive, and I don't let anyone side-dive. If they're intimidated by the board, they can stand beside it to dive in.

Besides:
I kept thinking I'd want a diving board with an 8ft deep end. I love swimming underwater and in deep water, so I know I want a deep pool. But the diving board...?

If you enjoy swimming underwater, I predict you may find you also enjoy the diving board. There's nothing quite like it once you've gotten to be a good diver. Its a beautiful feeling. And with your new pool, you can practice all you want ;)

I am biased because I'm a good diver, and I learned as a child in my grandfather's pool. I've noticed this is rarer than I thought it would be. Nonetheless, the diving board seems a favorite for kids and adults alike for jumping or cannon balls even if they don't know how to dive well.

Often, the debate new pool owners face in the planning stage is whether to build a sport pool or a pool with a diving well. In this case, since you know you want a deep end, I guess to my mind the diving board would be a natural choice. Notwithstanding guests, go with what YOU believe you will enjoy.

Swampwoman- Our PB tried to get us to look at a sport pool, but I'm just not seeing what they are good for? No offense to any owners out there, but I'm unsure what it achieves over an AG? I thought the whole point of an IG is to get that deep water. It isn't easy when the other half thinks a diving board is silly, and I'm not sure if I'd use it all the time, but would like to have one in case I do.

HiddenRiver- You hit the nail on the head: people ASSUME (quite wrongly) that all IGs are safe to dive in, but they aren't. I know that i want depth markers all around my pool for this very purpose.

YippeeSkipee- Same idea as with HiddenRiver. People see IGs and assume they can dive on in. I feel like this used to be the case (or at least in my area) because most IGs are dive friendly. That being said, the past swimming instructor in me always checks before diving. Unfortunately, most people do not and end up coming to see lovely professionals like you in our medical community.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.