Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Film in a fiberglass pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Film in a fiberglass pool

I'm looking to purchase a home with a pool. My previous pools have all been gunite, but looking at a house with a fiberglass pool.

To look at it, it looks fine. Hate to admit that I wasn't perfectly sure what type of pool it was, so I stuck my hand in the water and ran it across the wall. Pretty sure it was fiberglass, anyway running my hand along it coated my fingertips with what looked like dust, and the wall of the pool had finger tip streaks on it like when you run fingers through dust on furniture-- is this just poor maintenance?

Also, I had never previously seen a pool before that had seams in the wall, as if it had been put together from multiple pieces-- these weren't wrinkles in a liner. Are there multiple piece fiberglass pools?

thanks to all for the help.
    Desperately seeking pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Film in a fiberglass pool

I noticed that in my pool last year when we bought our house. I've noticed it less since I started keeping my CH at the lower end (220-250).

It is always possible it could be that the gel coating is bad, but unsure. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in and help us both.
    8K gal IG Fiberglass (San Juan Waikiki I)
    TF-100 Testing Kit
    Hayward Max-Flo VS Pump
    Hayward Star Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Model 320 Automatic Chlorine/Bromine In-Line Feeder

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Film in a fiberglass pool

It may be hard to diagnose without being able to test the water. (With a quality drop-based kit, something you'll want to get if you do buy the house!)
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

That's fair. My guess is that it was poorly maintained.
    Desperately seeking pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

It might be some sort of hybrid fiberglass pool? Most fiberglass pools do not have panels or seams, they arrive in one piece like an empty boat shell.

I bet poor water maintenance is the cause for that white schmutz you got on your hand.

Maddie
    Maddie 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain