Intelliflo and replacing one pump with two Help !!!

Jul 17, 2009
I currently have a Pentair 1 HP WFE-4 connected to a Jandy 3 port valve that provides suction to a pool cleaner and the skimmer/ main drain. Most of the suction is directed to the pool cleaner. Problem is I live in Southern CA where electricity is $.36 per kwh. System works fine really, but costly to operate.

I plan to purchase an VF-Intelliflo pump but I have read these really do not work well with pool cleaners.
What if I used two pumps on separate circuits? I will use the Intelliflo for filtering and my current 1 hp pump for the pool cleaner. I would only have to run the pool cleaner about a 90 minutes a day. I would not run them at the same time, ever. This setup would still save electricity.

Problem is setting up the return. Both circuits would have to go through the filter and then into the return line. What if, on the two input lines to the filter (from the skimmer main drain suction AND the pool cleaner) I put check valves so there would not be any backwards flow into the other line.
Is this feasible? Or a stupid idea?

Another setup would be more expensive. If I purchase the Pentair Intellitouch and an electric actuator, this would add another $1000 bucks, which may not be worth it.

Any thoughts?

I have a Hayward variable speed and my kreepy krauly works just fine. You don't have to run the cleaner the entire time you run the pump. I have mine set for one hour at a speed that can run the cleaner, then I dial it way down for filtration and backup for the final hour to run the cleaner again.

I do notice the cleaner runs a little better when I go from a high speed to a lower speed. When I dial up the speed for the last hour (wich is the same speed as the first hour) it does not move as fast, but it gets the job done.

A variable speed pump won't work with a pressure side cleaner that is designed to be used with a booster pump, but it will work just fine with a suction side cleaner, or a pressure side cleaner that is designed to work directly with the regular pool pump.

You will want to run the pump on a higher speed when operating the cleaner and a lower speed when the cleaner is not in use. This is fairly easy if you have a Pentair brand automation system, but can be a little tricky with other brands of equipment or without an automation system.

Another option that will get you more than half the energy savings of the Intellifo and much easier and less costly would be to replace the Whisperflo motor with a 2 speed. Payback is much sooner than the Intelliflo but you won't save as much over the long term. BTW, power company rebates can help with the motor as well.

I have a 30,000 gallon rectangular shape pool. I use a Hayward ultraVac for the pool cleaner.

A robot is a consideration, but these are not cheap, and if I recall, I would have to run a wire across my decking. Not really something I want to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.