Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction percentage between skimmer and main drain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Suction percentage between skimmer and main drain?

how does everyone set their suction percentage between the skimmer and main drain? 50/50, 75 skimmer/25 drain, 75 drain/25 skimmer?

Since my pool was built it's been set to about 75 on the main drain (approx estimation based on the 3 way valve. We actually get a lot of blowing dust and debris this time of year and I thought it may be better to pull more from the skimmer at least during the monsoons.
    Thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suction percentage between skimmer and main drain?

Currently my MD is not drawing much if any flow at all. MDs don't really do that much for a pool for day to day maintenace but skimmers do so I would direct most of the flow toward the skimmers.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Unless you have an infloor cleaning system, you need to draw nothing or nearly nothing from the drain.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    Unless you have an infloor cleaning system, you need to draw nothing or nearly nothing from the drain.
    Yep, Full in floor.

5. Back To Top    #5

An in floor cleaner drain is much different than a standard MD. So which are you talking about?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater