PSI up after adding DE

Tfaff

Jan 18, 2016
St Anthony,MN
I added 3/4 cup of DE to our sand filter today for the first time. The PSI started at 7 and went up one or two PSI after I added the last 1/4 cup, and now a couple hours later it's sitting at 14. I saw in the DE instructions that it could go up, but I'm wondering what do I do now that it has increased this much?

The DE you added did what DE does, it filtered out finer particles and in doing so raised the pressure. Backwash now and if you want to add DE, use less.

It would normally take at least a week to go up that much. I added 1/4 cup yesterday and it handled it better. Still was up 2 psi by this morning so I backwashed again. I'm fighting an algae problem, and cloudiness, it did look a little better today. Been vacuuming and brushing every day for a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I just thought it might help with the cloudiness some. And I wanted to try the DE anyway.

This is my first issue with algae. I've vacuumed and brushed every day for a week, I'll post test results, but they seem pretty stable to me. Every day when I vacuum, you can see a path where I've vacced and exactly where I haven't been. The first few days it looked like dust or some small particles billowing up on the pool bottom. Does this sound like algae?

Do I need to slam?

Yesterday's test results were :
Chlorine 2.5
PH 7.9
CYA 30
TA 60
CC 0

I adjusted with muriatic acid and chlorine

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.