Alkalinity Increaser with PH Decreaser

May 18, 2009
A friend of mine went to the pool store and got his water tested. They told him his alkalinity was too low and his PH was too high. Is this possible? Seems fishy to me since we've had a LOT of rain lately. My pool always needs PH increaser when it rains. They ended up selling him Alkalinity Increaser and PH Decreaser.

He should take both back.

Adding both will affect both levels if not done correctly.

Assuming his PH was high, he can use Muratic Acid to lower the PH. Then, he would add Baking soda to raise the TA. This can be done for a lot less money than those chems cost him....

He should get his own test kit to verify the numbers himself. At the very least the 6-way HTH test kit available at some Kmarts and Wal-marts for around $20. At least the PH/TA tests are accurate then...

Anything is possible, but I think the majority of pool store tests are full of errors....and designed simply to sell expensive chems....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.