Depression about Freezing Point Depression

mfk0213

Gold Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
TX
So, I calculated the freezing point depression that would occur due to the 3500 PPM of salt in the pool. It is a meager .4C. I'd like to *TRY* to keep the pool running year round this year. We do get into the 20s here, but not usually for more than a few days. Does anyone have any experience with keeping the pool ready to go without winterizing? Did you use any products to help you with that? Is there some magic gallon of "special stuff" I can pop into the pool that'll keep things unfrozen?

Just curious as to what experiences/ideas folks have.

Thanks,
Mo

Mo,

I suggest that you take two Xanax and call me in the morning... :p

People living in the DFW area do almost nothing to survive the winter. Whenever there is to be a cold snap you just need to run your pumps. Most pumps will have a freeze protection that turns them on when cold.

Worst case, you could throw a tarp over the equipment pad and run a standard light bulb for heat.

Keep in mind that the water temperature never gets to 20 degrees.. You just have to keep the water moving in the above ground pipes.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Just keep the water moving. There are freezing point temperature switches you can add to mechanical timers that help to automate the freeze control process but, if you don't have that, then you need to simply turn on the pump when the temps get below freezing

Above the ground pipes includes ALL pipes. For me I have 3 shear descents and sprayers with their own above ground pipes and valves. I turn them all on when freezing weather is predicted. Through trial and error (mostly dumbness), I have learned to move minimal water through the sprayers so I don't get an ice build up on the tile/coping should high winds accompany the cold temps.

Most timers have a freeze guard and dial to set the on point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.