opinions please on idea

Lershac

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
Hi all, we are in the early planning stages for our pool. I would like to build an in ground guinite ~ 20X30 rectangular with an inset spa on one corner. I plan on 2 particular features that I am curious to get the forums opinion on.

1. I want to do a cantilevered concrete decking, eliminating the coping around the pool. I am concerned about it after reading a few posts about swg and concrete deterioration. Is this a problem long term? Are there any steps to take to prevent it?

2. I want to eliminate the waterline tiling and just run the pebble tec (or fina, or sheen) right up to the top of the guinite instead of tiling. What problems does anyone forsee with this?

Thanks for your opinions!

I really like cantileverd decks. SWG will have virtually no effect. The problems your talking about seem to have been occurring with soft sandstone type materials.

I think you would be very unhappy without waterline tiles. There is a "scum line" that is present on all pool sat the water line. I do not think you could keep the pebbletec (or whatever) from being permanently stained. That's what the tiles are for.

Dave, thanks for your input.

I like the looks and the simplicity of the cantilevered decking.

The waterline tiles and scum line... I will probably look further into this, and if it concerns me super much I will try to get some tile that blends in so the tile does not "stand out". I am really just shooting for a uniform look to the pool, I am not a fan of the waterline tile as an accent.

Thanks!

I agree with Dave WRT to the water line tiles. Mine often get a bit mucked up and can be easily cleaned with a green pad. There was a recent post about someone trying to clean calcium scale off his tiles, the tiles came clean, but parts where the pebble was exposed to the scale, that did not come out as clean.

blasting-limescale-off-my-pool-walls-done-report-posted-t11530.html

Scroll down, there is a picture.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.