Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: opinions please on idea

1. Back To Top    #1

opinions please on idea

Hi all, we are in the early planning stages for our pool. I would like to build an in ground guinite ~ 20X30 rectangular with an inset spa on one corner. I plan on 2 particular features that I am curious to get the forums opinion on.

1. I want to do a cantilevered concrete decking, eliminating the coping around the pool. I am concerned about it after reading a few posts about swg and concrete deterioration. Is this a problem long term? Are there any steps to take to prevent it?

2. I want to eliminate the waterline tiling and just run the pebble tec (or fina, or sheen) right up to the top of the guinite instead of tiling. What problems does anyone forsee with this?

Thanks for your opinions!
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: opinions please on idea

I really like cantileverd decks. SWG will have virtually no effect. The problems your talking about seem to have been occurring with soft sandstone type materials.

I think you would be very unhappy without waterline tiles. There is a "scum line" that is present on all pool sat the water line. I do not think you could keep the pebbletec (or whatever) from being permanently stained. That's what the tiles are for.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Dave, thanks for your input.

I like the looks and the simplicity of the cantilevered decking.

The waterline tiles and scum line... I will probably look further into this, and if it concerns me super much I will try to get some tile that blends in so the tile does not "stand out". I am really just shooting for a uniform look to the pool, I am not a fan of the waterline tile as an accent.

Thanks!
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with Dave WRT to the water line tiles. Mine often get a bit mucked up and can be easily cleaned with a green pad. There was a recent post about someone trying to clean calcium scale off his tiles, the tiles came clean, but parts where the pebble was exposed to the scale, that did not come out as clean.

blasting-limescale-off-my-pool-walls-done-report-posted-t11530.html

Scroll down, there is a picture.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Look for a plain or mottled tile color that will blend in, rather than contrast. Believe me, you will regret not having waterline tile, no matter what surface your pick.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.