to cover or not to cover

One issue I've had with covering is the small pockets of water that you often get on the cover, which don't circulate.

I ended up with an algae bloom after taking off the cover, and not having sufficient chlorine in the rest of the pool (was only FC of 3, CYA 60, which isn't TOO bad). My suspicion that I can't prove is the pockets of water gave the algae a chance to get established, then it spread when I took the cover off.

If I ever use the cover for a long period away again (which will keep the FC in the whole pool higher), I might bump my FC up higher before taking the cover off to prevent that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
I was gone 10, and had no problems...

Followed Mom's example to the T and I was gone 10 days the only 10 days of summer we had...temps were 85 to 95 for the entire time...When I left FC was 16 and I covered and when I came back FC wa 6. I was glad because water temp was almost 90. If I had not brought FC up so high and did not cover I would have no FC when I got back and I would have had algae. The Solar cover keeps the FC from decreasing too much due to evaporation. Trust in Poolmom :thequeen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.