Just found the site and am converting to BBB

Thanks VoR, it just needs a new suction skirt and the hoses are all cracking. This is what happens to equipment BEFORE you find TFP. My water was never balanced and way to many chemicals were added to the pool. Kreepy pretty much stayed in 24/7.

I have been using Kreepy (this is my 3rd) for the 12 years or so that I have had the pool. When the pool was first installed there were no trees any where near it. But since that time my neighbor has planted cypress trees along the fence that is between the two of us. My pool is only 15 feet or so from the fence line. So all of the cypress stuff falls into my pool. His trees are quite large now. So I was trying to put off ordering replacement parts and getting a pool cleaner that would handle large cypress balls. (or what ever they are called) The balls are just larger than the opening in the Kreepy. So it gets stopped many time.

But for now I'm going to concentrate on getting my pool balanced with BBB. So I did order a replacement skirt for the Kreepy until I can read up and figure out what is the best auto pool cleaner for my situation. But thanks for the site info. I'll be checking it out.

My test kit came in today just like it was supposed too. (thanks duraleigh)I tested my CYA level first and I got 70 - 80 reading. Then I tested it again and got a reading somewhere around 40. So I thought that was too far from the first number so I tested it again. This time I got a reading between 30 and 40. I put 10 gallons of 6% bleach in the pool. Then I realized I was using the wrong number if my CYA was 40. :oops: But the pool is VERY green. So I'm sure that will used up pretty fast. My FC was 0 to start with. Total Alkalinity is 230. pH is now up to 7.8 maybe even a little higher but not to the 8.2 yet. Also checked the salt level and it was WAY down. Salt was 740 my optimum level = 3,500. according to instructions that came with my chlorine genarator so I need to add 574 lbs. of salt to the pool.

I have already added more chlorine to the pool. But was wondering do I need to lower my T/A at this point? How about pH? Mine is getting high. I'm not sure why?? I am no longer aerating the pool. But we have been getting LOTS of rain. Over 7" so far this month. With most of it being the last week. Or do I need to get the pool to a point where it is no longer green? Also I have not added any Borax to the pool yet. Do I need to order a test for the Borax?

I have been backwashing every day. Some days 2 times. Figured I was needing to get the CYA down any way. So why not? But now I am down far enough. Might have to add to get it back up. According to my chart for my SWG CYA should be 50 - 80. But I thought for now it might be easier to get rid of the GREEN with the level I have. (40ish). At least it would take less bleach if I am understanding that right. We haven't had much sun lately. Rain every day. My water temp is 85.

So now I'm ready for some more of that WONDERFUL TFP advise :party:

Thanks guys!

Misjudge said:
My test kit came in today just like it was supposed too. (thanks duraleigh)I tested my CYA level first and I got 70 - 80 reading. Then I tested it again and got a reading somewhere around 40. So I thought that was too far from the first number so I tested it again. This time I got a reading between 30 and 40.
Have you seen the visual for the CYA test? http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44

I put 10 gallons of 6% bleach in the pool. Then I realized I was using the wrong number if my CYA was 40. :oops: But the pool is VERY green. So I'm sure that will used up pretty fast. My FC was 0 to start with. Total Alkalinity is 230.
Try the TA test again, but this time wipe the dropper with a damp cloth between drops. Static could be an issue causing smaller than normal drops skewing the test.

pH is now up to 7.8 maybe even a little higher but not to the 8.2 yet.
When your pH gets to 7.8, use MA and lower it to 7.2. Don't test pH if your FC is above 10. Wait til it drops, then test and adjust pH. (You will want to crunch these numbers once your SWG is up and running) But, do not let pH go above 7.8.

Also checked the salt level and it was WAY down. Salt was 740 my optimum level = 3,500. according to instructions that came with my chlorine genarator so I need to add 574 lbs. of salt to the pool.

I have already added more chlorine to the pool. But was wondering do I need to lower my T/A at this point? How about pH? Mine is getting high. I'm not sure why??
See answers above.
I am no longer aerating the pool. But we have been getting LOTS of rain. Over 7" so far this month. With most of it being the last week. Or do I need to get the pool to a point where it is no longer green?
Yes. You need to continue shocking your pool.

Also I have not added any Borax to the pool yet. Do I need to order a test for the Borax?
Until you get your pool cleared and balanced, forget about borates :wink: (But, yes, there is a strip test for borates. duraleigh sells them at TFTestKits.Net
I have been backwashing every day. Some days 2 times. Figured I was needing to get the CYA down any way. So why not? But now I am down far enough. Might have to add to get it back up. According to my chart for my SWG CYA should be 50 - 80. But I thought for now it might be easier to get rid of the GREEN with the level I have. (40ish). At least it would take less bleach if I am understanding that right.
You are correct! :goodjob:

We haven't had much sun lately. Rain every day. My water temp is 85.

Good job so far! When can we see a pic? :-D

So now I'm ready for some more of that WONDERFUL TFP advise :party:

Thanks guys!

Keep in mind that high FC levels (over 10) will make the PH test read a false high. You shouldn't try to adjust PH when the FC is above 10.

When you are checking your results with the CYA test, you can pour the solution back in the mixing bottle, and then repeat the test, so you don't have to waste reagent doing it with a new sample.

Make sure you are in indirect sunlight with your back to the sun when you do the test, or a brightly lit indoor area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.