New Pool Start Up

Jun 9, 2009
Huntsville, AL
Ok so I have been reading for a month waiting for my installer to get my pool installed, so I have some knowledge from here. I just filled the pool and have not used the TF100 Kit on the initial fill (trying to figure out the operations of the pump and filter system).

Questions:
Should I go ahead and check the levels with the test kit (I know I will need CYA) or just go get some and start letting it desolve using the sock in front of the return?

Should I start the Bleach before my target CYA target is reached?

Are the liquid conditioners ok to use or stick with the sock method and wait.

Thanks,
YBnormal...have a pool

Go ahead and test your numbers. I'm going to assume you have 1ppm FC in there right now. To bring it up to 4ppm, add 2 quarts of 6% bleach.

You really don't need to add liquid CYA. The granular is a lot cheaper. I find that the sock method is very good at getting it disolved pretty fast. If you put it in the skimmer while the pump is running, it should disolve pretty quickly. If you dump it in the skimmer <without the sock> you should not backwash for atleast 48-72 hours. I prefer the sock.

Have you checked out the pool calculator yet? There is a link in my siggy. You can book mark it. That is where I got the 2 quarts of bleach to add to bump your FC while adding CYA. Of course, you want to know what the CYA will be and adjust the FC accordingly once you hit your target. I would not check it again for a week because it takes it's time showing up in the water. :wink: No reason to waste regants testing everyday.

ok that TF Test Kit is totally awesome, my first time and it was so easy to use. I did not check the CYA but my initial results are:

CL/Br = <.5/<1
PH = 7.2
TA =120

Does it look like correct readings?

On my way to get conditionser and Bleech, anything else I sould get?

YBnormal...have a pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.