bottom of new pool liner faded

Jul 22, 2017
shelby township
Good morning,

I am the proud owner of a new 21 foot round above ground. I have had it roughly a month and last night I noticed a significant change in the liner on the floor vs. the walls? It appears that the floor has faded significantly however the walls have not. I contribute this to the sun, but how much is too much fading, especially in 1 month? I feel it is the sun as I have moved the pad from under my ladder and the liner is much darker there, matching the walls and original darkness of the pool. I have contacted the pool store, but thought i would come here first.

My levels have stayed consistent at these:

FC: 5
TC: .5 or 0
PH: 7.2
TA: 110
CYA: 30

I use liquid chlorine to sanitize.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It is just very odd that it is literally at the seam where you can see the difference in the fade? I wonder if it is a manufacturer defect?

thanks.

My goodness that *is* odd, huh!?

I have no idea why that is though. If it is even throughout the bottom it seems it is a defect of some sort. If it appears patchy or scattered, it would make me wonder if chlorine was poured in those spots and not mixed in??

Maddie :flower:

Welcome to the forum!

Wow, that's some significant fading for 1-month's time. Very puzzling indeed.

I wonder if the floor was made from a different batch of vinyl than the floor, and there is some defect/difference in the materials used between batches. Have you contacted the manufacturer?

I haven't contacted the manufacturer yet. I have an email in to my pool store where I bought everything from. I am trying to look through my literature to see where the liner was from, yet of course not as easy as I thought. The pool is great, but I am with you and think that the bottom was manufactured differently or there is some sort of defect?

I am waiting to hear, "it is supposed to do that." Or, "that is the style you chose."

Mine has faded just like this too. I dont know why but it still holds water after 4 years. And i will say this, my liner was not cheap! Its the portifino liner and was over $400.

Did you ever contact the manufacturer? What did they say? Part of me wants to just roll with it, but the other part of me is upset about the entire thing.

Also, did the fading ever go up the walls on yours? How does yours look today? Did the fading slow down?

P.S. It is an Emerald Tile Liner from Swimline. I have sent them an email also. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My floor is lighter than the wall liner. I can not get a picture of it because I just had foot surgery yesterday. It holds water, its not leaking n I havent called. Everything fades with out in the elements. The liner is also being exposed to chemicals. The floor absorbing mist of the suns rays. I dont really worry about it. Ill see if I have pics in my phone.

I found a pic. Excuse me in the pic, I was using the return to massage my foot before surgery. :mrgreen:

Here is one of my steps. You can see how dark the wall is compared to the floor. My pool gets full sun all day long too.

That's a beautiful liner!

My old Intex liner faded out over the years and is completely white below the waterline. But it gives the water a nice turquoise hue, just like our favorite beaches along Florida's 30A area, so I don't mind it.

wp_ss_20170712_0001.png

Mangela, I have had my pool a little less than 5 months and I've noticed the exact same thing. I have a Doughboy pool and I'm not sure who made the liner. I don't know why the sun would just fade the bottom and nothing on any part of the side. Do you have a vermiculite bottom? Mine is and that is the only thing I can think of. I haven't contacted anyone about this yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.