Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vac problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Vac problems

Ok, bought a house with a pool, working on turning it from black water to a sparkling oasis in the desert of Detroit. I've been rocking out the chlorine for a few days and I can now clearly see the bottom of the shallow end and vaugely see the bottom of the deep end. As stuff is dying sediment is accumulation on the floor of the pool concentrated in a ring about 6 inches wide where the walls slope to the floor, but covering the entire floor just not as thick.

I bought a length of vac hose and a vac plate for my skimmer and my first vac attemt went well. Got tons of garbage up and things were going smoothly. The problem is now when I try to vac I can't get enough suction. I fill the hose with water, attatch the vac head and vac plate, but when I put it all together it vacs fine for a little while but eventually loses all suction. I even tried plugging the other skimmer to increase the suction and that lasts a little longer but still eventually loses all suction and the vac plate even bubbles and pops out of the skimmer basket.

Any suggestions or ideas? I've been brushing as much stuff to the bottom of the deep end trying to get as much gunk into the main drain as I can and I think it it is clearing up but just not as fast as it did after my first successful vac job.
    24,000 gallon concrete pool, super old 250# StaRite sand filter and a 1hp Centurian pump. Polaris robot with booster in possesion, but not hooked up yet.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vac problems

How is your pressure? Have you back washed? That could be the issue. You have a lot of stuff in there that you just vac'ed up.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I Backwash when the pressure hits 15 psi as the filter says. Even when the pressure is at 8 or 9 right after backwashing this problem happens.
    24,000 gallon concrete pool, super old 250# StaRite sand filter and a 1hp Centurian pump. Polaris robot with booster in possesion, but not hooked up yet.

4. Back To Top    #4

It could be a blockage. Someone more qualified will have to chime in.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

It sounds like either the skimmer basket, pump strainer basket or the filter itself is getting clogged. On a dirty pool, it's normal to have to backwash several times while vacuuming, and not unusual to have to clean the baskets as well. When you backwash, make sure you do it for 3 minutes or so to ensure the filter is really cleared.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

To me it sounds like your pump is slowly losing prime. Are there air bubbles in the pump when you vacuum? What about during normal operation?

If your hose has a swivel cuff on one end, make sure it's on the end that attaches to the vac head and not the other side.

Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

7. Back To Top    #7

I turn my main drain off so i have more pull from the skimmer, just what i do.. you have to have a main drain to do this..
    good luck
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'll double check the hose, but I think the swivel part is on the vac head. I'm not sure if I can turn off my main drain. There isn't a valve on that line near the pump.