Going out of town...

chadw

Jul 12, 2009
Louisburg, NC
So I'm leaving town tomorrow and won't be back until Tuesday. Since I'm the only one that knows how to take care of the pool, I need some pointers on what to do before I leave. I shocked the pool for the first time tonight (added about 134 oz of bleach per the pool calculator) and added two 3 inch tablets (Walmart Aqua-Chem tablets) to the skimmer (the pump will run while I'm gone).

The chlorine level tonight was about 2ppm before the shock (my test doesn't tell me if it is FC, CC, or TC, it's the Aqua-Chem 3 way test from walmart) and the pH was about 7.5. About 45 minutes after I shocked it, the chlorine level was off the chart (above 5ppm).

I just got the water right and want to make sure I don't come home to an algae filled pool that I have to drain and refill. The cover is on and will stay on until I get home.

As always, thanks for any and all replies.

Pointers on what to do?

Sounds like it's already done. :wink:

(next time if you're going to put tabs in, make sure the PH is 7.8 before you shock. The tabs lower PH. Check it when you get home and boost the PH with Borax if its below 7.2.)

So I should have upped the pH before shocking? I see that I typed 7.5 - it actually read 7.6.

I'll check it Tuesday when I get back (first thing) and add some Borax if necessary. Should I shock it when I get home, or just add a little chlorine to treat it?

When you get home just test and adjust accordingly to your CYA level. I would be inclined to go a little higher just in case however if the water looks clear I would adjust your bleach as needed and see what happens.

Have a good time and dont worry !! :wave: :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.