New liner & fresh water being put in tomorrow! Now what?!

Jun 22, 2009
Hi everyone :)

After a 3 week wait our new V-bead liner should be getting installed tomorrow. Once the pool is filled with fresh water the first thing I need to do is to add the appropriate amt. of cyanuric acid for a 20,000 gallon pool, right? I'll consult a pool calculator. OK, easy enough.

I'm assuming after waiting 3 or 4 hours I can test the CYA level and add more if needed, right?

Then, using the BBB method, would you then add a few gallons of bleach, wait a few hours, and focus on getting the chlorine level within the appropriate ranges?

I'm guess I'm trying to figure out what chemicals are the priorities in terms of which need to be balanced first, second, etc.

As always, any and all help is needed and much appreciated!
Thank you!
Jeannie :cool:

No. First adjust PH.

Then you can add CYA, but you wait a week to test for it. Add enough to reach a target of 50ppm, you want to make a slurry and pour it slowly thru the skimmer. It will slowly dissolve in your filter, so you can't clean or backwash for a week. Normally we advise a sock in the skimmer or in front of the return, so you can backwash, etc. if necessary, but since this is new water I can't see you needing to backwash....so go ahead and add it directly. Leave the filter running for 48 hours.

After you are done adding the CYA, start with the bleach. Use the Pool Calc. A good starting point would be 5ppm, which is not necessarily "gallons".

Check FC twice a day and add bleach to stay above 2 at all times, until the CYA starts to work. 24 hours after adding the CYA, use the 50ppm level on the CYA chart and those are your "target" and "min" levels.

Been away. Thank you so much for your response! For some reason, perhaps from being sleep deprived :sleep: I thought I recalled your response saying to add CYA first and THEN adjust PH. :hammer: Just shoot me, :grrrr: So I basically put 4lbs. of CYA in the pool skillmer basket and then added my borax which I mixed in a pail and poured in front of the return. I am going to wait a few more hours and test the PH. I'm actually scared to look in the pool. I hope I didn't screw up royally by doing this backwards. :oops:

Jeannie
(who is off to get coffee and very annoyed with herself! :rant: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.