Old skimmer with broken vacuum door

Jul 16, 2009
Hi all,

First post and hope siggie looks Okay!

I inherited this pool when I purchased the house 2 years ago. It's an above ground with the specs below. It's probably about 19 years old (as old as the house.)

After the initial load of information I had to get on what each part is and what it does, I now know the skimmer's door that switches from filtration to vacuuming is broken. I tried to get a replacement door, but I can't find it as it seems that the skimmer model is quite old. Please see picture attached. I am willing to replace the skimmer with a new one, but I was told I have to get the same skimmer (with the same thru-wall pattern so it would fit in the existing cut.) I was also told it's a Lomart skimmer, but I couldn't find one that looks like it.

Any idea what the skimmer model is? Where can I find parts or find a new one that I can install instead of this one?

I have other problems with my pool this season (broken pump strainer basket), short filteration cyecles (I'm planning on replacing the filter sand) but I hope I can manage those. However, this skimmer problem seems unsolvable.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Attachments

• IMG00387.jpg
    IMG00387.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG00384.jpg
    IMG00384.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 159
Hey.. Welcome to the forum.

Wow! That's one old skimmer for sure.

I'm actually at a loss as to what to do there- other than trying to find the same type of skimmer which will be a huge project / quite impossible I'm guessing.

I'm sure others will chime in but I'm wondering if you may be forced to :

1. Remove that skimmer.
2. Use the skimmer for a template to make a piece of galvanized / metal (and gasket) etc to cover that entire hole using the same bolt pattern.
3. Cutting a new "standard" skimmer into the new piece of metal.

It's about the only thing I can really think of.

EDIT:

Or . . . after looking at it again. Is the actual hole cut into the wall only about the size of the top portion of the skimmer??

After looking at if further, It appears that you just have a smaller "standard sized opening" and that huge plastic plate just covers the liner and the metal wall below it. If that's the case, perhaps using a standard style square skimmer may be easier than it looks.

I have a widemouth skimmer so I'm not sure if your mounting holes look correct for a standard skimmer but a first glance , they appear to be different.

I think I would plug off the vacuum port and use the skimmer like it is if that's all that's wrong with it. You can always buy a pressure side vacuum so you don't have to worry about that. Another idea might be to take whatever of the old door you have to a plastics place and see if they can fabricate a new door that will work for you.

Thanks guys for the quick replies. I really appreciate any advice with this problem.

p4m: The actual cut is unfortunately as big as the plate. Even that little hole at the bottom (which is almost 14" below the top) goes through the cut. I found that the new Lomart skimmers almost look like this (square at the top and then angel down) but then there's not that extra piece and they're only 10" in height.

If you have any keywords that would help me search for a replacement, please let me know.

Making a custom skimmer is somewhat beyond me (I just replaced my filter sand and pump strainer housing yesterday and I'm proud of it, but I think that was about it for me!) :)

Bama Rambler: The return vac is the easiest solution that I might have to go to if I couldn't find anything to put in place of that door. But I read that they have more disadvantages over regular suction vacs.

Another quick question, the skimmer has 2 holes as shown in the picture. The top is for the vacuum hose. Anyone knows what the bottom one is for?

x-lancer said:
If you have any keywords that would help me search for a replacement, please let me know.

I searched and couldn't find that model either. Sorry :rant:

x-lancer said:
Bama Rambler: The return vac is the easiest solution that I might have to go to if I couldn't find anything to put in place of that door. But I read that they have more disadvantages over regular suction vacs.

Yeah, but if it's your only option you may not have a choice.

x-lancer said:
Another quick question, the skimmer has 2 holes as shown in the picture. The top is for the vacuum hose. Anyone knows what the bottom one is for?

It's most likely a low water suction. There should be a float valve in the skimmer that opens that hole if the water gets below the skimmer. I'm guessing here so don't hold me to that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.