New pool plaster. How much imperfections should there be?

May 11, 2009
I just had my pool re plastered and trying to figure out how perfect the plaster should be. On the stairs, the plaster has a long small bump(like a small flat speed bump) going across the vertical part of each step. Also, around the deep end stairs (the wall steps), is not as smooth as I would like...should it match the rest of the walls?

On the bottom of the pool floor, after the water was filled by the PB, I've noticed a big streak going from the shallow end to the deep end. As if someone spilled paint along the floor. its not noticeable when the sun is out but when there is a shade or when the sun sets, its very noticeable. I know water wasn't filled from that area. Im trying to figure out what it could be. I've been adding acid almost every other day and used to check the water daily. I believe for one day, the PH went to 8.2 but I quickly reduced it the next day. Also, this streak occurred before their start-up job.

How fast will it scale anyways?

I'm trying to compare my pool to hotels since they do work on them, but the hotel pools look nicer and smoother to me.

Smoothness sometimes is a charicteristic of what they use. There are acceptable tolerances in the industry. Pool plaster is completely hand troweled and can't be screed like house stucco or concrete. I could find inperfections in every pool.The paying customer usually has the last word here. If it looks completely botched up it probably is.

What plaster did you have them apply? I am asking this because you mentioned the surface was not even looking.The product dictates application and exposure technique. I have seen plaster exposed in different parts of the country in different ways. Some people water wash the pools then acid wash(the best way) and others rely on the surface to expose itself and just fill it up.They would tell you over time it will look better. In some cases it does . White plaster never gets washed.

I have tons of imperfections in our new plaster/diamond brite (done last summer)....just this year I really have noticed them. I can only see them at night with the pool light on. I have trowel marks and acouple bubble looking spots (kinda weird because they fill smooth but, in the light they look like bubbles in the plaster).
It still looks great and I know the light makes everything look larger and stand out more...it still drives me crazy :) oh' well...I still love it, better than it was.

chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.