I've got some sand in the bottom of my AG pool...

chriszke

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
I've got a 24' round pool. Can't remember the specific filter model...but it uses sand as the filter media. The pump is a 1.0 HP Pentair. After being filtered, the water runs through 3 2x20 solar mats...currently hooked up in series...so my flow is somewhat reduced.

We like to keep the water pristine. We use a Kreepy Krawley if we know the kids won't be swimming in the pool for a while, but due to the reduced flow and a rather large pool area...it's rare that it covers 100% of the area and we end up doing some manual vacuuming every couple of weeks.

Anyways...we're relatively new (and inexperienced) pool owners...and I'm finding some sand at the bottom of the pool.

The sand collects in the little crevices found in the liner at the bottom of the pool. I occasionally take the suction hose into the pool with me and with a set of goggles...try to vacuum all of the sand up.

Still...a week or so later, I find sand again. Small quantities to be sure...but it's bothering me a bit.

Is what I am seeing sand from my filter being carried through the system?

How concerned should I be?

Are you sure the sand is not being tracked into the pool from the people getting into it. The next time you take your filter apart take a look at the plastic parts that have small slits on them(looks like a comb). Make sure none of the plastic comb fingers is broken.

Try covering your return with a stocking. If the sand is coming from the filter, you'll catch it and you'll know where to look for the source.

You say you're relatively new to this - does that mean your pool is new too? if it is, did you follow instructions and after setting up your filter, backwash it for a while to get rid of the fine sand that will pass through the filter (this sand is actually broken sand from shipping).
alternative solution - Now that it's in the pool, you can vac to waste to get rid of it.
another thought is are you sure it's sand?
Could also be dirt and dust picked up by the surface from nearby lawn mowing etc - this happens to mine all the time - dust storms etc will send up a cloud of dirt, once it's blown over, look at the surface of the pool, then look at the flooor of the pool 3 hours later.

Thanks for all of the responses.

In order of your questions:

1. I haven't dismantled the filter yet to inspect the insides. Didn't even know it had anything that resembled a comb inside of it. I'll keep that in mind in the event that I need to though.

2. It REALLY looks more like sand than dirt. The pool is a suburban backyard and is just a few steps from the house. I suppose it could be blown into the pool as there always seems to be some small construction project going on in the neighborhood...but nothing really close by. It also could be tracked in from our paver brick patio...which has sand in-between the bricks.

3. The stocking idea is a good one. I'll jump on it shortly.

4. We did backwash the filter when originally setup. We backwash about every 3 or 4 weeks part of our maintenance program.

Thanks again for the suggestions and the feedback. I found your forum about a month ago...and have learned much by searching and reading the experiences of others.

Chris

chriszke said:
2. It REALLY looks more like sand than dirt. The pool is a suburban backyard and is just a few steps from the house. I suppose it could be blown into the pool as there always seems to be some small construction project going on in the neighborhood...but nothing really close by. It also could be tracked in from our paver brick patio...which has sand in-between the bricks.

Any chance it's from a shingle roof? Don't know how close a few steps is, but it's an idea.

JohnT said:
chriszke said:

Any chance it's from a shingle roof? Don't know how close a few steps is, but it's an idea.

I really don't think so John. Our roof grit would be reddish with pretty large pieces. The stuff I'm seeing is multi-colored...but for the most part light brown.

It could very well be a mixture of wind-blown and foot-borne dirt.

The sheer volume is pretty low. Maybe just a quarter to half teaspoon over the entire 24' pool floor.

It's just very eye-catching against the light blue liner when it accumulates in those small liner creases.

I had a similar problem, but in my case it wasn't sand, just small "bits" of things escaping through the filter.

It always tends to pile up in the same spots thanks to the flow of the pool.

A fix to the symptom (which has made things easily tolerable for me) is to get yourself a Pool Buster. Think of it as a Dust Devil for your pool.

Works great on spot cleaning those bits that the Kreepy Krawly misses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.