Go to your local auto parts store and get some oil pigs or pads. They'll float on the surface and soak up oil but not water. I hope your pump wasn't running when it happened. Don't run it if it wasn't! You can use the pads to wipe the oil off the sides and equipment then use magic eraser to clean the remaining up.

Welcome to TFP!

In addition to what others have already said, skim as much of it off the top of the water as possible. A cut up one gallon milk jug often makes a good skimmer. Get a couple of scum bugs for the skimmer(s) and keep them clean and raise the FC level up to the high end of the normal range.

If the quantity is very large, several quarts or more, then you might want to try an enzyme treatment to speed up the breakdown of whatever remains after the other approaches get most of it.

For the algae you are going to want to shock the pool. Clean up as much of the oil as you possibly can first, then start shocking. Shocking will also help to break down whatever remains after the preliminary cleanup.

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

In addition to what others have already said, skim as much of it off the top of the water as possible. A cut up one gallon milk jug often makes a good skimmer. Get a couple of scum bugs for the skimmer(s) and keep them clean and raise the FC level up to the high end of the normal range.

If the quantity is very large, several quarts or more, then you might want to try an enzyme treatment to speed up the breakdown of whatever remains after the other approaches get most of it.

For the algae you are going to want to shock the pool. Clean up as much of the oil as you possibly can first, then start shocking. Shocking will also help to break down whatever remains after the preliminary cleanup.

thank you for the advice i am new to the pool thing and you guys have been a big help

baylorbeargp said:
Beez said:
baylorbeargp said:
any ideas on what to do if motor oil has been poured into your pool
WOW! I just can't help asking: How did THAT happen? :lol:

it was vandalism

That's horrible! I'm so sorry someone had to be a donkey! :evil: I hope you can get it cleaned and cleared up fast! Good Luck and keep us posted.

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

i was also curious about the pools pump...it was not on when the oil was poured in the pool and has not been turned on since at what point is it safe to turn the pump back on?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.