Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: motor oil

1. Back To Top    #1

motor oil

any ideas on what to do if motor oil has been poured into your pool
    24k IG (plaster) Triton Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: motor oil

Go to your local auto parts store and get some oil pigs or pads. They'll float on the surface and soak up oil but not water. I hope your pump wasn't running when it happened. Don't run it if it wasn't! You can use the pads to wipe the oil off the sides and equipment then use magic eraser to clean the remaining up.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by baylorbeargp
    WOW! I just can't help asking: How did THAT happen?
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

thank you for the advice the pool has a lot of algae build up as well does that make a difference?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    it was vandalism

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!

In addition to what others have already said, skim as much of it off the top of the water as possible. A cut up one gallon milk jug often makes a good skimmer. Get a couple of scum bugs for the skimmer(s) and keep them clean and raise the FC level up to the high end of the normal range.

If the quantity is very large, several quarts or more, then you might want to try an enzyme treatment to speed up the breakdown of whatever remains after the other approaches get most of it.

For the algae you are going to want to shock the pool. Clean up as much of the oil as you possibly can first, then start shocking. Shocking will also help to break down whatever remains after the preliminary cleanup.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Welcome to TFP!

In addition to what others have already said, skim as much of it off the top of the water as possible. A cut up one gallon milk jug often makes a good skimmer. Get a couple of scum bugs for the skimmer(s) and keep them clean and raise the FC level up to the high end of the normal range.

If the quantity is very large, several quarts or more, then you might want to try an enzyme treatment to speed up the breakdown of whatever remains after the other approaches get most of it.

For the algae you are going to want to shock the pool. Clean up as much of the oil as you possibly can first, then start shocking. Shocking will also help to break down whatever remains after the preliminary cleanup.
    thank you for the advice i am new to the pool thing and you guys have been a big help

8. Back To Top    #8

it was vandalism
    OH ****! Sorry I laughed. Don't mind me as I pull my foot out of my mouth...

Sorry,
    Dave
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

9. Back To Top    #9

it was vandalism
    That's horrible! I'm so sorry someone had to be a donkey! I hope you can get it cleaned and cleared up fast! Good Luck and keep us posted.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Welcome to TFP!

i was also curious about the pools pump...it was not on when the oil was poured in the pool and has not been turned on since at what point is it safe to turn the pump back on?

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Enzymes

12. Back To Top    #12

It will be safe to run the pump as soon as you have it clean enough that there's no sheen on the water and the walls are clean.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

What Bama Rambler said, or as close to that as you can manage.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

the motor oil is gone...i followed the advice you guys gave me ended up using enzymes as well thanks for everyone's help

15. Back To Top    #15

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

16. Back To Top    #16

OMG! What a horrible deed. I hope the vandals got caught and are being punished. Glad you got it cleaned up.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.