Algae problem

May 18, 2009
Berwick Pennslyvania
I have been fighting an algea problem for the last five days. I have added 5 bages of ganual shock over the last 3 days to no avail. It doesn't seem to be getting better but it's not getting an worse. My numbers are...

FC 7
PH 7.8
Alk 160
CYA 40
CC 4.5
TC 11.5+

Any suggestions?

amelito said:
I have been fighting an algea problem for the last five days. I have added 5 bages of ganual shock over the last 3 days to no avail. It doesn't seem to be getting better but it's not getting an worse. My numbers are...

FC 7
PH 7.8
Alk 160
CYA 40
CC 4.5
TC 11.5+

Any suggestions?

I am not a pro but the Pool School (link on top right of this page ) is the place to go so you can learn about everything related to keeping your pool balanced. This article is in there:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/defeating_algae

Getting your pool to shock level will also get rid of those CC's which should not be above .5
You should read and reread the pool school and you will learn alot- just like I did. Things like "shock is a level of chlorine not a product"

Hi,

We suggest you use Liquid Chlorine or Bleach (plain, unscented 6%) to shock your pool.

Remember that shocking your pool is a process and not a one-time event. The more often you can raise your pool to shock level (and try to hold it there) the faster the process will go.

With CC at 4.5, you will need lots of bleach.

Have you added anything other than the bags of shock?

Have you used the Pool Calculator?

amelito said:
According to the pool calculator I would need to add 16.4 gallons of 6% bleach to raise my numbers to shock level, does that sound about right? That seems like a lot of bleach to me.

My target shock level is 15 according to the chart.

I get a little over 5 gallons using the Pool Calculator. Rough figuring makes that seem right, since one gallon of 6% will raise 10,000 gallons by 6ppm. In your pool, one gallon of 6% will raise 20,000 gallons by 3ppm, so 5 gallons of 6% will raise 20,000 gallons by 15ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.