Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae problem

I have been fighting an algea problem for the last five days. I have added 5 bages of ganual shock over the last 3 days to no avail. It doesn't seem to be getting better but it's not getting an worse. My numbers are...

FC 7
    PH 7.8
    Alk 160
    CYA 40
    CC 4.5
    TC 11.5+

Any suggestions?
    20K gal.
    Hayward S-244T sand filter
    IG vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae problem

Quote Originally Posted by amelito
    I have been fighting an algea problem for the last five days. I have added 5 bages of ganual shock over the last 3 days to no avail. It doesn't seem to be getting better but it's not getting an worse. My numbers are...

FC 7
    PH 7.8
    Alk 160
    CYA 40
    CC 4.5
    TC 11.5+

Any suggestions?
    I am not a pro but the Pool School (link on top right of this page ) is the place to go so you can learn about everything related to keeping your pool balanced. This article is in there:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...efeating_algae

Getting your pool to shock level will also get rid of those CC's which should not be above .5
    You should read and reread the pool school and you will learn alot- just like I did. Things like "shock is a level of chlorine not a product"
    18K gallon IG pool and separate 1200 Gallon IG spa - Both have: Diamond Brite Plaster- Hayward DE Filter -Propane heater- renovated 8/2008

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi,

We suggest you use Liquid Chlorine or Bleach (plain, unscented 6%) to shock your pool.

Remember that shocking your pool is a process and not a one-time event. The more often you can raise your pool to shock level (and try to hold it there) the faster the process will go.

With CC at 4.5, you will need lots of bleach.

Have you added anything other than the bags of shock?

Have you used the Pool Calculator?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I haven't added anything else. I have been using bleach all summer and things were going well. I will go back to bleach tonight and hit it heavy.

Once the algea is beaten will my CC level once again drop near zero?
    20K gal.
    IG vinyl

5. Back To Top    #5

John I guess you answered my question about the CC level, thanks for the advice on the article. Believe it or not I just read it last night I had printed it out earlier in the season.
    20K gal.
    IG vinyl

6. Back To Top    #6

According to the pool calculator I would need to add 16.4 gallons of 6% bleach to raise my numbers to shock level, does that sound about right? That seems like a lot of bleach to me.

My target shock level is 15 according to the chart.
    20K gal.
    IG vinyl

7. Back To Top    #7

I just ran the PC and starting at a zero FC level I only get that you need to add just under 5 gallons to get to 15 FC. I don't know how you got to 16-1/2 gallons but I'd run the numbers through PC again.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by amelito
    According to the pool calculator I would need to add 16.4 gallons of 6% bleach to raise my numbers to shock level, does that sound about right? That seems like a lot of bleach to me.

My target shock level is 15 according to the chart.
    I get a little over 5 gallons using the Pool Calculator. Rough figuring makes that seem right, since one gallon of 6% will raise 10,000 gallons by 6ppm. In your pool, one gallon of 6% will raise 20,000 gallons by 3ppm, so 5 gallons of 6% will raise 20,000 gallons by 15ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks guys you're right don't know what I was thinking. Thanks again, you guys are great keep up the good work.
    20K gal.
    IG vinyl