Disgusting pool

Jul 15, 2009
Sup guys, I'm new here, but I've been trying to get as much info as I could before I posted. My pool is green as green can be, and I feel like I've been fighting this battle all summer long. I have placed an order for the test kit, and I know that it's the first step to bringing my pool back to life.

While I'm waiting for that to come, I've purchased a case of liquid chlorine from the local pool store, and I want to get started ASAP. Should I put all 4 gallons of this stuff in, or should I just put a couple in today, then a couple more tomorrow? When I tested my pool with the test strips that I have, it showed an extremely low chlorine level.

Now to compound this all, I have a DE filter that loses pressure about every 2 hours. I can't tell you how many times I've changed the earth so far, definitely more than 20. I guess I'll be changing it a ton while the pool is green, so I need to get this going right away.

Once my kit comes in, I'll post my levels. In the meantime, I am going to take some water up to the local pool place and have them test. Thanks!!

Welcome to TFP!

You'll be need a lot more than 4 gallons of liquid chlorine. Use the Pool Calculator to figure up what it takes to get your water to shock level for your CYA level. Probably 3 gallons, but it will be gone in a couple of hours and you'll need that much again. If your CYA level is too high, you might be better off draining a good portion of the water to get it within reason before you even start attacking the algae.

Read the Pool School articles about algae control and chlorine/CYA relationships as a start.

The key thing is the frequent chlorine additions until it starts holding. That will be the difference in several days time in clearing the water.

You may be better off running your filter on recirculate, if that's an option, until the water turns to a gray-blue color indicating that the algae is dead. A DE filter can be a pain when the water goes really bad.

JohnT said:
Welcome to TFP!

You'll be need a lot more than 4 gallons of liquid chlorine. Use the Pool Calculator to figure up what it takes to get your water to shock level for your CYA level. Probably 3 gallons, but it will be gone in a couple of hours and you'll need that much again. If your CYA level is too high, you might be better off draining a good portion of the water to get it within reason before you even start attacking the algae.

Read the Pool School articles about algae control and chlorine/CYA relationships as a start.

The key thing is the frequent chlorine additions until it starts holding. That will be the difference in several days time in clearing the water.

You may be better off running your filter on recirculate, if that's an option, until the water turns to a gray-blue color indicating that the algae is dead. A DE filter can be a pain when the water goes really bad.
I know that I'll need alot more than 4 gallons, I just meant for today. Should I put in all 4 when I get home from work just to start?

I was in the same boat you are now last Friday and as of this morning I can tell that my pool is supposed to be blue in color. I have added in the neighborhood of 28.5 gallons of bleach since last Friday. My CYA level was 70 and I was adding 3 and 4 bottles at a time. I am now down to about 1 at a time so it is much more stable.

Frustratedpoolmom is AWESOME! Everyone here has been right on target every single step of the way and VERY supportive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.