Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Disgusting pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Disgusting pool

Sup guys, I'm new here, but I've been trying to get as much info as I could before I posted. My pool is green as green can be, and I feel like I've been fighting this battle all summer long. I have placed an order for the test kit, and I know that it's the first step to bringing my pool back to life.

While I'm waiting for that to come, I've purchased a case of liquid chlorine from the local pool store, and I want to get started ASAP. Should I put all 4 gallons of this stuff in, or should I just put a couple in today, then a couple more tomorrow? When I tested my pool with the test strips that I have, it showed an extremely low chlorine level.

Now to compound this all, I have a DE filter that loses pressure about every 2 hours. I can't tell you how many times I've changed the earth so far, definitely more than 20. I guess I'll be changing it a ton while the pool is green, so I need to get this going right away.

Once my kit comes in, I'll post my levels. In the meantime, I am going to take some water up to the local pool place and have them test. Thanks!!
    17100 gallons
    Hayward EC-50 DE Filter (1 HP)
    Above Ground

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Disgusting pool

Once you have a cya level it will be a clue as to how much liquid chlorine to add.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

You'll be need a lot more than 4 gallons of liquid chlorine. Use the Pool Calculator to figure up what it takes to get your water to shock level for your CYA level. Probably 3 gallons, but it will be gone in a couple of hours and you'll need that much again. If your CYA level is too high, you might be better off draining a good portion of the water to get it within reason before you even start attacking the algae.

Read the Pool School articles about algae control and chlorine/CYA relationships as a start.

The key thing is the frequent chlorine additions until it starts holding. That will be the difference in several days time in clearing the water.

You may be better off running your filter on recirculate, if that's an option, until the water turns to a gray-blue color indicating that the algae is dead. A DE filter can be a pain when the water goes really bad.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Welcome to TFP!

You'll be need a lot more than 4 gallons of liquid chlorine. Use the Pool Calculator to figure up what it takes to get your water to shock level for your CYA level. Probably 3 gallons, but it will be gone in a couple of hours and you'll need that much again. If your CYA level is too high, you might be better off draining a good portion of the water to get it within reason before you even start attacking the algae.

Read the Pool School articles about algae control and chlorine/CYA relationships as a start.

The key thing is the frequent chlorine additions until it starts holding. That will be the difference in several days time in clearing the water.

You may be better off running your filter on recirculate, if that's an option, until the water turns to a gray-blue color indicating that the algae is dead. A DE filter can be a pain when the water goes really bad.
    I know that I'll need alot more than 4 gallons, I just meant for today. Should I put in all 4 when I get home from work just to start?
    17100 gallons
    Above Ground

5. Back To Top    #5

We need to know your CYA level first.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds good, I'll post it when I get outta here.
    17100 gallons
    Above Ground

7. Back To Top    #7

I was in the same boat you are now last Friday and as of this morning I can tell that my pool is supposed to be blue in color. I have added in the neighborhood of 28.5 gallons of bleach since last Friday. My CYA level was 70 and I was adding 3 and 4 bottles at a time. I am now down to about 1 at a time so it is much more stable.

Frustratedpoolmom is AWESOME! Everyone here has been right on target every single step of the way and VERY supportive.
    Matt
    20,000 gallon, sand filter, IG vinyl